Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lousy Weather A Go Go

Perhaps I should be glad that I came home from Pennsylvania yesterday.

On my way home, I noticed salt trucks pulled over to the shoulder of the toll road. I discovered that there was a winter weather advisory for the next couple of days. 

I got up this morning at about 5:30, since I had to work at 9:30 and wanted to get my walking in. When heading out, I discovered that it was snowing. However, my trip to work was fairly easy. I think they learned their lesson last February, when a storm completely iced up the Springfield Interchange, giving some people eight-hour commutes home. So they took no chances and pre-treated the roads six ways to Sunday before the weather got bad. I got to McDonald's for my usual paper reading (making sure I was off liquids after 7:30), walked, and then went to work. I was by myself for three hours (hence being off liquids) before Petunia Gray showed up. Let's just say that there wasn't a lot of conversation between us during the day. I basically buried my head in paperwork during the morning and put my nose in a magazine in the afternoon.

My assistant manager (who makes the schedule) told me that she might not be able to give me the days off I requested (2/13 and 2/14). This annoys me. Now, I know that we are understaffed and all that, but I ask for very few days off, and these days are important to me: 2/13 is Justin's birthday, and 2/14 is not only Cathleen's birthday but Valentine's Day. For the first time in my life, Valentines Day actually has some relevance in my life instead of just leaving me depressed. So I am a little bummed about that.

Six o'clock came and I was out of there. I was very surprised to find that the roads were more or less just wet pavement until I got closer to home. I stopped at McDonald's for a salad and a couple of their cookies (1600 calories today, thank you very much!), and then went to Target to restock the freezer and refrigerator. Thanks to various grocery runs, I have three and a half bottles of V-8 juice, two tubs of margarine, three boxes of oatmeal, nine English muffins (one is thawing while the others are in the freezer), ten frozen entrees, and eleven cups of yogurt. Julie will not be happy that I am filling up the fridge and freezer with so many supplies.

I'm glad to be home now. I am sitting here, with "Spa" on the XM, the Weather Channel is on TV without sound, and I am hearing the sleet falling against the window. I have taken precautions with my windshield wipers, and I will be setting my alarm for 5:30 tomorrow as well. I don't know if the paper carrier will be able to get in tomorrow, though. We will find out tomorrow morning.

Justin seems to be feeling better. He has not yet passed his stone, but the Vicodin is helping with the pain. I haven't seen him in nearly a week, and I miss him. I hope things work out so I can see him soon.

Eric Out.

No comments: