Today is Kyle's fortieth birthday. How did we meet? I was born. End of story.
I am in Pennsylvania, and am having trouble typing this because I just ate my weight in salty, greasy, sugary breakfast fare. My aunt, uncle, and I went to their camping group's annual breakfast meeting, which includes an all-you-can-eat buffet. So I am shaky and buzzy from all the food and coffee. I will not be very hungry for the rest of the day.
My trip yesterday was kind of rough. They had predicted some snow the previous evening, and while it wasn't enough to make an impact on the roads, the trouble was the wind that had kicked up. Since I drive a little car, it was subject to a lot of high wind.
But I am so glad to just get the hell away from my usual rut for a few days. Last night found my aunt and uncle playing host to BethAnne and the two younger boys (who wanted to get in the hot tub), my aunt's cousin Ilene and her husband Ed. Ed and Ilene had not seen me since Cathleen's funeral, so they were a little surprised to see me.
My aunt and uncle's friends are very nice people; don't get me wrong. But I feel so out of place with a bunch of old married couples. Every time I got up, I felt self-conscious as I walked out. I'm younger than they are, I am single, and as I have mentioned before, am not the most masculine person on the face of the earth (Tana tells me I swish when I'm sound asleep; I don't quite understand this). So I kind of stuck out. But the old ladies love me, even if the old men look at me funny.
The next activity this afternoon involves a fiftieth anniversary party. I will be there as well, in a different outfit, yet seeing the same people I just saw. Oh well; just smile and turn on the charm. It is in a church, so I need to stow the gay away. Or else I will just be myself, make the ladies swoon, and make the men want to jump me in the narthex.
But wouldn't it be nice if there was some nice young man there...a girl can dream, can't she?
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment