Thursday, January 21, 2010

Standing Up To Julie

As you know, I have been getting mighty tired of Julie constantly gallivanting off to parts unknown and leaving me with her cats to feed. Well, tonight, I half-jokingly suggested that since I was nice enough to feed her cats this past weekend, she waive the utilities for the month. She got the message, and we are now at an impasse.

Basically, I told her the same things that I have said on this blog. First, if I wanted the responsibility of pets, I would have a cat of my own. Second, when they got these cats, I was not consulted, so why I should I be burdened with feeding them? Third, they have been throwing this at me a lot lately, yet I have not gotten any sort of repayment or compensation of any kind. And as for the "as a friend" argument that she throws at me constantly, this is not a matter of doing dishes; we are dealing with two living things here. I don't want anything to happen to these cats, and if something did happen on my watch, it would be horrible. So I don't want to deal with it.

So we are both using Elaine as a sounding board, and she is seeing both sides and staying neutral. [UPDATE: We talked it out; in the future if she asks, if I have plans, she will just find someone else, and will not hold me responsible if the cats drop dead. But she knows that I had to change my plans for Saturday night this weekend, and in the future, I should just say so.]

On to other topics, we are going to talk about a guy I know (and no, Tana, it is not like that!). In my time spent walking the mall (almost since day one), I have noticed him, and one day some time ago, I stopped walking, took the earbuds out of my ears, and introduced myself. His name is Randy, and he is one of the few people I will stop and talk to. He works at the Barnes & Noble, and he seems very nice. Whenever he sees me in the mornings at his store, he stops and waves, and I do the same. And on the first day of this month, he came up to me, wished me a happy new year, and held out his hand for me to shake. So I guess he thinks I must be okay.

I have no idea if he is gay. And I don't know if he knows that I am gay. So the next time I see him outside of the store I will invite him to go do something. Even if he is straight, it would be nice to have a new friend.

Tomorrow I have to schlep out to my doctor's office to get my cholesterol prescription renewed. I haven't had any in about a week, so I need to get this done. Of course, it doesn't help that I don't feel well; I have finally caught the cold that threatened me during New Year's Eve. But I have to get this done. This is why I didn't go to Freddie's as I had planned. I have no voice, and even though I know that I can't sing that well to begin with, I don't need to be growling the words either.

I am off next Tuesday and Wednesday, though, so perhaps I will go Monday or Tuesday night.

Eric Out.

No comments: