Friday, August 20, 2010

Guess Who's Starting Shit Again...

Last night, I came in from my happy hour (more on this coming up) to find Julie sitting on the sofa, playing some computer game. I hadn't eaten anything at the dinner that followed happy hour, so as I went to the kitchen to get a nutrition bar, I announced that I was hungry. Julie replied, "That's what happens when you starve yourself." I told her that no, I was not starving myself; everything I had eaten that day was nutritionally sound. This morning, she looked at the empty box, and said, "there isn't enough fiber in this."

Yes folks, I get back on the eating bandwagon in a big way, and Little Julie Jealous starts up again. I would think that she would know by now that it isn't going to work.

On Wednesday, I had the day off, and the rain was so torrential that traffic was backed up enough going toward Tysons that I did my walking at Dulles Town Center instead. This was a good thing, because I was also able to go see "Vampires Suck" at the theatre nearby. Cleo was sick at home, so I wanted to stay out as much as possible, lest I get what he had.

So after being at home for a bit after the movie (which was pretty much as bad as I expected), I went to see Diane, and we went to Famous Dave's. Originally, I had planned to just have a salad, but it comes with a corn muffin that apparently has as many calories as the salad itself. So I had one of their light "Citrus Grill" platters.

When you take their satisfaction survey, you get a code to return for a free dessert. Since I am now seriously dieting, I have amassed a collection of four of these. I hope they don't expire; one of these days I will be having a cheat day that will bring me there.

So after Diane and I parted ways, I went to Fair Oaks for another three laps. After 22,000 steps for the day (and 1600 calories), I headed home.

So yesterday, I knew I was going to be going to the happy hour, so I got home, dropped my stuff off, and headed to the hotel. I saw Robert (from the Mexican dinner) sitting alone, so I spent the time chatting with him. I then gave him a ride to the Macaroni Grill, where the dinner was being held. He and I spent a good deal of time chatting and getting to know one another.

Now here is where problems started. Playing with cell phones seems to be the official pastime at these dinners, and I said that mine is turned off 90% of the time. Gai (from both the first Thursday dinner and the Mexican night) said something like "uh huh", as if to say that I am antisocial. So I covered, explaining that I am not allowed to take incoming calls on my cell phone at work. This is not a lie, but I wonder how that made me look.

Then, on the way back to the hotel to drop Robert off at his car, once we were there, he gave me a hug (difficult in my tiny car with my still buckled in), and I gave him a peck on the cheek. I am now wondering if I went a little bit overboard.

So, with these two actions, I am afraid that yes, kittens, I fucked it up.

Tomorrow is the bowling night, and Sunday is the brunch. Gai and Robert will be at both. I will talk to both of them and see if they seem to behave any differently toward me. I asked Tana (who I found online on Facebook late last night), and she doesn't think that a peck was too bad.

I might be reading too much into all of this. For all I know, both of my perceived gaffes could be forgotten by both of them. I will find out tomorrow evening. At least I can apologize to Robert if he thought that I was being too friendly too soon.

I got home to the exchange with Julie above, and I was tired, but with all of the Diet Coke I drank at the dinner, I didn't get very much sleep.

This morning, I went to my McDonald's as usual to find a guy who I sometimes talk to sitting there. His name is Mort, and he is this grizzled old man who happens to run a successful business. He looked at me and said, "I see you're fat again." I told him that yes, I had put on some weight, and it was coming back off, but I had just started dieting again a week and a half before. He then told me that with the graying hair around my temples and my losing hair, I was looking old.

With a friend like him, who needs an enemy?

I got through work (which wasn't bad), and then went to Target for some more of those nutrition bars. You know, the ones without enough fiber. I know that I am supposed to be boycotting Target, but I have a feeling they will be thinking twice about giving money to antigay political groups anymore.

So here we are, on a Friday night, where I am ready to go to sleep pretty soon. So I bid everyone a nice night, and I will probably post again on Sunday evening with a report on bowling and brunch, and whether I fucked it up with two potential new friends.

Eric Out.

No comments: