Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Think Good Thoughts For Lucy

Last night did not go that well. I met Justin and Freddie's, where they were having their Monday night "Dinner and a Movie," and then they were going to have karaoke. They were showing a movie called "Sordid Lives." Apparently some of the people had seen it already, because they were running lines from it. I had been up since 5:30 in the morning, so I was not feeling like particularly good company. Also, I didn't want to eat there, and had already gone to Subway for dinner, but I found that the sight of the cake, compounded by guilt feelings taking up a table to do nothing but drink soda, made my compulsions start up. Basically, I had to get out of there.

Justin wasn't too thrilled with the fact that I left before karaoke even began, but he seemed resigned to it. I got home at about 9:40, and was dead to the world by 10:30.

I woke up at about 6:30, and lolled around in bed watching TV until I realized that I would not be going back to sleep. So as soon as I heard Cleo and Julie leave, I got up and had a bit of breakfast before going to Tysons for walking.

While I was there, I noticed that they were setting up a table for people to sign up to join the Tysons Trekkers, which is the mall walking group. Since I have been walking that mall for the last two years, I signed up and got a t-shirt and got my blood pressure checked (which was great, by the way). Once I was done, I walked toward a nearby McDonald's for my usual morning civility.

It was just at that point when Justin called my cell phone, and seemed upset. His chihuahua Lucy was not doing well. She had some stomach problems, was breathing hard, and, in Justin's words, "was looking scared." I asked him if he had called the vet, and he said that there were no appointments. I asked him if he knew of any emergency vets, and he didn't. I told him that if he went online, he could probably find one, but to keep me posted.

After sitting at McDonald's for a while, doing crossword puzzles and worrying about Justin (who seemed even more scared than Lucy), I walked back to the mall, where I went to the Apple Store and did a Google search myself. I then called him and left a message on his voicemail about a clinic, and gave him the address and phone number. He sent me a text message, thanking me for the information, and telling me that Lucy is breathing a little more easily now. I hope she feels better. Justin loves that dog, even if she growls at me whenever she sees me.

I then drove to Target, where I bought some birthday cards (Kari's birthday is today; my cousin BethAnne's is on the fourth), reloaded my cell phone minutes, and came home. I have been in the Batcave ever since. I am getting a little sleepy, but I am not going to bed.

So this is my day to this point. Except for worrying about Justin, I am enjoying having a solo day. I just hope that Lucy will be okay. I hope to have an update on this.

No comments: