Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bringing In The Big Guns

When the going gets tough, and all that jazz...

My assistant manager has noticed recently how depressed I have been, and that when I am waiting to clock in at work, I look like a condemned prisoner going to his execution (my words, not hers). She is pretty much at her wit's end as to what to do with the operators, we don't talk to each other anymore. She is most alarmed by the change in my behavior. This is completely justifiable; I barely talk to anyone anymore.

So this afternoon, she pulled me out of the room, and told me that she had spoken to my former boss, and told me to call her when I go to lunch. Being the obedient soldier that I am, I did just that.

Basically, I told her everything, about my other co-worker turning against me when I was on vacation, and how it is like a tomb in the room. She clued me in about how I am not just being paranoid, my three coworkers (including the part timer), That's My Tuna!, and others have been trashing me behind my back. A LOT. It is all about how self-centered I am, and that sort of thing.

This, as my former boss knows, is a bunch of nonsense. They want to know why I never invite anyone out to lunch (maybe because I bring my lunch every day), and why I give less money than others in office collections (because I don't ask what others are giving and I give what I think is reasonable, especially for a bunch of people who don't like me anyway). Or why I don't give a lot of money for these things, yet I own a good deal of high-end merchandise.

Let's see, folks. I work hard for every single thing I own. Most of the people with whom I work have husbands and generous family members. I don't. So if I want to throw a little bit of money around, I am going to buy for myself or for someone who actually deserves it, like Diane or my aunt. And as for these office collections, when the assistant manager takes up a collection, she says that we should give whatever we can. Why she writes down what everyone gives and lets others see it is beyond me. And why we have so many damn office collections boggles my mind.

So my former boss recommended that once in a while I should offer to pick something up for the department. I have tried doing that in the past, and I get turned down every time. 

But notice that not one gripe has anything whatsoever to do with my ability to answer the phone and do paperwork. And most of this stuff can be traced back to one person. Guess who that is, dear readers? 

My strategy of keeping my head down and doing a good job has essentially backfired. And I am sick to death of office politics. I always thought that keeping to myself, working hard, and trying not to bother anyone was a good policy. Gee, I was wrong.

I worked the late shift today, made sure that I budgeted my calories accordingly, and went to Freddie's for a late dinner and some karaoke. It was far more crowded than other Tuesday nights I have been there. I wonder why. I guess the nice weather brings out more people. But it is now after midnight, so I am calling it a night and going to bed.

Eric Out.

No comments: