Saturday, January 12, 2008

Beth On A Mission

Yesterday I finally got up the courage to weigh myself, and the result was 159 pounds. Not bad...only half a pound was gained. And given that this is well within what I could call normal fluctuations, I was fine.

After the usual day off ritual in the morning, I met up with Beth and we went for kabobs for dinner. We then went to Dulles Town Center, where I was extremely dumb and ate four cookies from Mrs. Fields. However, I did do my walking, and didn't eat much during the course of the day. And I ate early enough in the evening that I could still burn some of it off.

While Beth and I were out and about, she was telling me about how her twin godchildren Max and Marin were going to see their father for the first time in their lives. These two kids are ten years old. There was a court order stating that the father had the right to an unsupervised visit with the kids. Beth was recruited to be nearby and stay incognito to make sure that the kids were safe and Beth remained unseen.

I wanted so desperately to help and be with Beth while she did this (I was a little concerned about the safety of the kids as well), but I had to work today. So my job was to pull an outfit together. I raided my closet and grabbed some of my old jackets and hoodies, and this was the outfit we came up with:

While we were out, I also decided that I needed a little retail therapy, so we went to Abercrombie & Fitch (naturally) and I bought a new hoodie for myself. No, I have NOT lost my mind. This was a lighter weight jacket, it was a pretty burgundy color, and it was on sale for $18.90, marked down from $49.50. It is no longer available online, otherwise I would show you a picture of it.

Today I worked, and I have no idea if I blew it or not as far as my eating is concerned. I was working a later shift today (11 to 8), so I needed a more substantial breakfast, so I did what I normally do on my late shifts and ate at McDonald's. I then put on my iPod and walked for an hour before starting my shift. When I got to work, my boss realized that one of my co-workers had recently celebrated her birthday, and there was no lunch for her. So it became my job to go to the Cheesecake Factory and pick up a bunch of appetizers for lunch. I was extremely skittish about having that food there because I didn't want to overeat twice in a row, yet I still wanted to be polite. But when I went to lunch (at 3:30), I ate the soup that I had brought, and a 100-calorie pack of crackers. Then I went upstairs and had one tiny burger from a plate of what they call "Roadslide Sliders", and a couple of tortilla chips.

By eight o'clock tonight, I was starving, so I met up with Beth at Subway and had a wrap and some light potato chips, and then had two graham crackers when I got home. So I am estimating (assuming 300 calories for the tiny burger and the tortilla chips) about 2025 calories: more than I usually have, but still below the 2469 calories I supposedly am allowed. Although I didn't use my weights today, I still did my walking. So hopefully I will be all right. And if I wasn't (and if I'm not good tomorrow), I am working day shifts from Monday through Thursday, will be walking tomorrow and Friday (when I'm off), so I should be able to mitigate the effects of the last two days, which might not have been that bad anyway.

At Subway, Beth told me that the visit went well, and the father explained that he had not seen them because he had broken his neck right at the time they were born. I can't believe it would take ten years for it to heal. He then said he would be back for another visit in two months. I am still leery of this guy. I hope he isn't trying to gain their trust so that he can kidnap them. He has lived all over the country and his parents live in Canada. This could pose a problem.

I came home to find Cleo, Julie, and D. sitting in the living room guffawing at "Ratatouille" on the television. I'm sure they knew I had come home, but they didn't say anything. So I just came downstairs and started laundry. When the load currently in the washer goes into the dryer, I am hitting the sack.

No comments: