OK, let's get to it.
I have spent the last couple of weeks boring people to death with my moping and feeling sorry for myself. But things are far worse for some other people I know. So while my low-calorie cook-and-serve pudding is cooling enough for me to eat it, and in spite of my arm being tired from all the stirring to make said pudding, let's talk about this.
Last night, I called Diane and asked her if she wanted to have dinner. My timing was perfect, because she needed a shoulder right now.
As you recall, she had surgery on her neck about a month ago. And back in December, she broke her ankle, and now needs surgery. It is by the grace of whatever higher power exists that her former employer extended her health insurance through August.
However, she now has other problems. Her unemployment ran out this past week, and she has had to apply for food stamps and government aid to help pay her utilities. She also is working with the bank that holds her mortgage so she doesn't lose her condo. It goes without saying that I let her pick the restaurant. We ate at On The Border. Never again will I have "endless enchiladas". I was hungry for the first time at about seven tonight. But I digress.
Then, on my way home from work, I turned on my cell phone to find that my twelve year-old cousin Chris had left me a text message: "Did you hear about Uncle Chet?" He is referring to my uncle's uncle, who has been quite ill for some time; he has emphysema. So I called my uncle and he told me that Chet will probably not live to see the sun come up tomorrow. Although he is not a blood relative (and wasn't too terribly fond of me), I still feel for my uncle and the rest of the gang up there. I hope his wife Marty will be okay. And let's think of my uncle and the fact that he is losing his uncle this March, and lost his brother last March.
So, kittens, although I am still wondering about my place in the world, and I am still feeling kind of alone right now and thus and such, it is time to think of others who are dealing with bigger problems. At least for a little while.
I will be seeing my father tomorrow for lunch before I head to the bowling alley. I will be dropping off Bette's birthday gift then. She has another lunch planned, so my father and I are heading out.
I will have more later as events develop.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment