Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Some Random Thoughts For February Thirteenth

First, a brief Justin update: we have been exchanging text messages since we parted ways last Sunday. I am going to attempt to go to his birthday party on Friday night, and we are getting together this coming Sunday. I hope things work out for that. I am taking this slowly, but it seems he has an interest in me. 

For some reason, I find this video absolutely hilarious:


The weather was absolutely horrible yesterday. No one expected that there would be the ice storm that hit, and it completely crippled the evening commute. I guess I should be thatnkful that I was one of the lucky ones: first, I got up early enough that I could vote in the primary (for Barack Obama), and also that it only took me an hour and a half to get home. I feel for the people who were stuck in traffic for nine hours. 

As for my exercise, I only walked for half an hour in the morning (not wanting to be out any later after work), but I only ate 1500 calories for the day. So it should even out. Today, expecting the worst, I got up at six o'clock and left slightly after seven for my 9:30 shift, and was at McDonald's for my drink at 7:30. I was reading my paper (as usual) when the power went out in the area. So I dropped my things off at the office, pulled my dork weights out of the car, and spent an hour walking. So I was able to come home at a reasonable hour, after getting a few groceries. My calories for the day? About 1300. Not nearly enough. But that's life.

I am off tomorrow, and I wish I wasn't. Once again, I have this feeling of impending doom at work, and whenever I have a day off, I always wonder if my co-workers are ganging up on me to try to get me in trouble. Hopefully, if they are, my reputation will save me. 

One of the better decisions I made last year was to get the paper delivered to my home. I find it gratifying to see it lying in the walkway every morning, saving me time and money. There used to be a time when on my days off, I would go to Rite Aid and pick up a newspaper before going for my Morning Civility (although I didn't refer to it as that at the time). Ever since subscribing to the paper and going on mail-order medication, I have set foot in a Rite Aid a grand total of once. I wonder if they miss me. Julie likes to say that she suggested it and wants to take credit for it, but I had been thinking about getting home delivery anyway. Sometimes, though, I feel bad for the paper carriers, who have to trudge through every imaginable weather condition in order to get a paper delivered to my door by six in the morning, 365 days a year. However, I have read that, for the most part, the concept of the school-age "paperboy" going out and delivering papers has become a thing of the past, that most paper carriers are now adults. I can't help but think this is an improvement, as it makes me shudder to think about a kid being run over by somebody whose coffee hasn't kicked in or kidnapped by some sicko. I can hardly imagine my cousin BethAnne allowing her kids to get a job requiring them to be out of the house at that time of the morning. Of course, as overly possessive of her kids as she is, I'm amazed she even lets them go to school.

My parents and I are getting together tomorrow to celebrate my father's birthday. Yesterday was his 67th birthday. We were supposed to get together last night, but the weather put the kibosh on that plan. I'm glad that my dad left me a message on my cell phone canceling. Last year we met during a snowstorm, and it was very tense getting home. But tomorrow the weather should cooperate. I also plan to visit Cathleen's grave, as tomorrow would have been her third birthday. Back when Cathleen was born, one of my thoughts was that even if I was single, Valentine's Day would always be a special day. But that all came crashing down when Cathleen got sick. I just hope I will someday be able to handle Valentine's Day without getting choked up over my beloved Cathleen.

I think I have prattled on enough for one night. I am heading to bed to read my new issue of MAD, which arrived today. Good night.

No comments: