Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Forty Days...

As I write this, President Obama is getting ready to give a speech. So instead of having the satellite radio on, I have put CNN on. I will watch until I'm tired of the rhetoric, and then I will put the music back on.

Today was my last day of eating sweets until the twelfth of April. So I have eaten as much as I can stomach. I also have done my share of exercise, as I not only have done my usual walking, I also went to Beth's to help her clean.

They say that there are two types of goals: "give up" goals, and "go up" goals. You can share your "give up" goals, but not your "go up" goals. So I have shared my "give up" goal of giving up sweets to everyone who matters. So far, I have most people in my corner: my aunt is encouraging me, Beth is giving up sweets along with me, and Justin is threatening to charge me $5 every time he catches me eating them (finding a creative way to finance his water pump for his car, which finally blew last week). The one person, naturally, who is being stupid is Julie. I told her this yesterday, and she snidely said, "I didn't know you were that religious." I told her that once in a while I do this sort of thing. She said, "You'll lose even more weight" and I said "Even better!" She then said that this wasn't necessarily a good thing, but I have put on a few pounds during the holiday season that I can't get rid of, so this is just the kick in the butt I need. And Julie's discouragement serves no purpose other than making me more determined.

I got up at about seven, and did my usual walking, and then went to Annandale to get to Beth's, stopping at Burger King for a soda and to do my crosswords before going to Beth's. As I sat there, I heard from both Beth and Diane, and they both had job interviews. So I am keeping my fingers crossed for them.

I went over to Beth's, where we got to work. I focused my efforts on emptying trash and cleaning the kitchen, which looked like it hadn't been swept since last year. I also dusted, but didn't want to disturb all of the tchochkes that were on the various horizontal surfaces. Beth was not happy when I left at two to go meet with Justin.

Justin was supposed to be off at three, but didn't get off until closer to four. We walked to Ruby Tuesday, where we had the salad bar, then went to see "Madea Goes To Jail." This was a dramedy, the biggest surprise to see little Rudy from "The Cosby Show" playing a prostitute. (Note: at this point, I have put CNN on the satellite radio instead of the TV.)

But once again, as the day ends, I am dreading work tomorrow. In this economy, I go to work every day wondering if my job will exist, or will corporate bloodletting cause me or someone I like at work to no longer be working there. 

I will be going to Freddie's for bingo with Beth again tomorrow night. I hope that things go well there. As you know, I was hit on. I reminded Justin of this this afternoon, reminding him under no uncertain terms that he can be replaced. I would like to think that he gets the message if he does something stupid like he did a week and a half ago. 

So I have three work days before I am off this weekend, and then I work Monday, followed by the possibility of jury duty on Tuesday. I hope my group isn't needed.

So if I am going to get up tomorrow for my walking, I had better settle myself down for the night. 

Eric Out.

No comments: