Saturday, February 28, 2009

Trying Again With The Pink Shirt

A while back, I noted that the past two attempts at wearing the newest acquisition to my wardrobe (that pink shirt from Abercrombie & Fitch) have resulted in difficulties: one was when Justin stood me up for his birthday, and the other last week when Petunia Gray's mother died and I had to changes clothes to go to work. I am wearing it again, and hopefully it will stay on my body until I take it off to put into the washer at the end of the evening.

So far, I have made it the first three days without eating any sweets. I am predicting that this is going to be a challenge until the 17th of March. They say it takes twenty-one days to break a habit, and that will be the magic day. If I can wade through the cravings till then, the nineteen days of Lent that follow should be smooth sailing. If I don't lose more weight, I will certainly not gain any; I have held the line with eating, and since most of the cheating on my "cheat days" consists of gorging on cookies and stuff like that, I should be fine.

One person who was horrified at this was my favorite waitress at Freddie's, Nina. Beth, Terry, and I went there for bingo on Wednesday, where I had my usual burger. When Nina asked me "are you ready for your cake, love?" I told her that I was giving up sweets, and she asked me, "that seems too hard; why don't you give up alcohol?" Since she has never seen me drink in her entire time working there, I said that this would be too easy. This did not affect her tip, though. She is a really nice, attentive server, and we always request her.

Thursday found me working the late shift, and it involved the good news that Beth got the job she had interviewed for on Tuesday. So hopefully that will pan out. Other than that, things were the norm for that sort of day. I ate breakfast at McDonald's, ate lunch at Subway, and had my breakfast food after I got home. 

Yesterday Beth called me and told me that Loser Boy was getting out of jail at midnight, and asked me to go with her to Lane Bryant to pick out a dress to pick him up. Justin was supposed to come along, but he had another convenient migraine and backed out. I can't help but think that his "migraine" is caused more by Beth's presence than anything else.

She was working at one of her odd jobs, and I got off at the same time as I did. So we went to pick up Loser Boy's personal effects from a jail he had been in prior to his transfer, and then went to Lane Bryant in Fairfax. 

We got there at about 8:15 to discover that due to the faltering economy, the store had closed at eight. Beth was bummed, but I reminded her that on the bright side, she was not spending money that she didn't have (she was going to use her Lane Bryant credit card, which was the only card that she had not yet maxed out), and we could find something that she already had. 

So we went to Denny's for dinner, where I (hopefully) didn't blow it for the day. I had a club sandwich (which was essentially a turkey sandwich with two pieces of bacon on it) without mayo, and some fries. We then went back to her place, where I was treated to the image of her Buddha-esque father sitting shirtless in the living room watching "Hannity" on the Fox News Channel.  

I tried to get an outfit together for Beth before the day finally caught up to me and I asked her to take me back to my car. I went home, and did my usual Friday night thing of throwing one load of laundry into the washer before crashing into bed.

I want to report that Beth has already faltered on our Lenten pledge. On Ash Wednesday, she completely forgot what she promised and ate a Slim-Fast chocolate bar before she realized what she was doing. Then her dad took her out for dinner on Thursday and she had dessert. And to think I have been climbing the walls during the past two days. We are also trying to establish what qualifies as a sweet and what doesn't: I am not giving up Diet Coke, and she is not giving up sugar in her coffee. I also am keeping my vitamins (which are kids' chewable vitamins) or my yogurt (which is healthy). She and I were discussing whether graham crackers count as sweets and decided that they didn't. I still am not sure if I am buying some or not. I don't want to make so many exceptions that it defeats the purpose of doing this. Basically, I am saying "no" to sweet baked goods, ice cream, candy, and the like. 

I woke up this morning with absolutely no desire to get up and go walking, but I somehow got myself up put myself through it. On days like this, I have to push myself through the walking until I am two-thirds of the way through. The last third is usually pretty easy after that. I then went to Target to stock up on lunches, bringing my total supply of work lunches to fourteen. Cleo and Julie are NOT going to be happy when they open the freezer and see the massive stock of Smart Ones frozen entrees in there. But they can deal. 

I suppose that I am now updated. It has been a few days since I posted, but when one is out late three days in a row, it is hard to jump on the computer and do more than check email. I still have my usual anxieties of work, romance, my upcoming jury duty, and my car inspection, but I will have to deal with them. 

Eric Out.

No comments: