After publishing my last post, I sent Justin a text message, saying that I was worried about him, and could he let me know what is going on. Some time later, he responded back to me, saying that he was irritated that I had gone and invited people without asking him, not that he minded, but he wanted to be asked first. My reaction is what I have been saying lately: HUH?
Let's see. The only two people who I invited were Beth and Diane. And before I left for Pennsylvania, I texted him, specifically asking him if I could invite Beth. She has been part of this saga from day one, and his response was "Yeah." And as for Diane, it was merely a formality, and judging by her state of mind (completely understandable considering her circumstances), I knew darn well that she wouldn't accept. I told him as such, also adding that I was sorry this was how he took it, and that I really wanted him to have a good birthday.
I asked if we could meet somewhere to talk (and give him his birthday gift), and he wanted to have dinner at Annie's, which is a steakhouse in Dupont Circle. I really didn't want to go all the way out there, but I was not about to argue, since I was really interested in figuring out what the hell was going on in that brain of his. So I went to Target, bought minutes for my cell phone, stuffed $10 in each sock, and headed to the Metro.
I arrived with way too much time, so I headed to the HRC store and Lambda Rising to putz around and kill time until I had to go searching for this restaurant. Happily, the streets are pretty well organized in DC. So I was able to find the place without a whole lot of trouble.
Justin, having had difficulty finding a place to park, arrived a while later, carrying a little stuffed puppy with a heart on it. One thing about Justin is that he doesn't like to have difficult conversations. But I asked him if he was really thinking about what he was doing, and how worried I was. I told him that I knew his water pump was on the fritz, and I thought he was stranded on the side of the road with no way of getting a hold of me. He looked absolutely horrified. I then mentioned that I had called his mother. He claimed that she didn't tell him. I asked him where he went, and he started repeating "honest, I just stayed home..." over and over again. I didn't believe him, mostly because he had the same vacant stare that he gave me back in June when he kept telling me over and over again that he didn't live with his parents, despite being confronted by his father.
I think he felt really bad, because he paid for dinner. He seemed to like the iPod I gave him, and he did wind up staying the night. When we got home (and after we had some cookie cake), I threw my last load of laundry into the washer, we watched an online episode of "Andy Griffith" (which I hate), and went to bed.
We woke up at seven this morning, and went out to Sterling, where we spent much of the day. We walked the mall before going to see "Confessions of a Shopaholic" (instant review: they made way too many changes to the book, not the least of which was the nationality of the protagonist. It was cute, though). After that, we went back to the house.
Julie and Cleo were getting ready to go to Tova's house so they could have dinner, and they invited Justin and me to join them. Since we were cold, Justin and I huddled under the Elmo blanket in the back seat of the car.
Here is a picture of us from IHOP. Tova thought Justin was cute and nice. I spared her the details of this weekend. But after bringing Tova home, Julie had the three of us get the car. As we were heading out (and free of Julie's ears), Cleo announced that the three of us should escape, go to Freddie's, and get shitfaced. Interesting coming from someone claiming to be straight.
But the day (and the weekend is finally coming to a close. I am dreading work tomorrow, but I will make the best of it. I am very tired, and as soon as I am done here, it is time for bed.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment