Monday, August 24, 2009

A Dinner Tradition Is Not Starting

When I last posted, I was getting ready to drive to Alexandria for my evening out. This happened, and I went to Landmark Mall to discover that the American Cafe was still open, and on Monday night, they had burgers for $4.99. So I went in.

I was seated in a booth in a part of the restaurant that had no air conditioning. I saw on the menu that any of the burgers could have a turkey patty substituted at no extra charge. The waiter didn't know that, though, and when I asked him to replace the beef with turkey, he said he would have to ask if that could be done. I pointed it out on the menu, and he took the order in.

I then noticed a table tent saying that if they didn't offer a queso dip appetizer, I could have one for free. Since I wanted dessert (and this waiter was pretty harried as it was), I didn't make an issue of it. I did notice that the iced tea got more and more iceless as my meal went on. I don't know if I ate too much (having eaten about 600 calories going into dinner), but I think it was okay.

But let's just say that when it comes to the American Café, it will probably be a place that will occupy my memories and not more. If I go there again, it will be someone else's choice, not mine. And it will be in the dead of winter, when air conditioning will not be an issue.

I then went to the bowling alley to go to the meeting. Everyone seemed to know each other already (as usual), but I did my best to be friendly. There were two other new bowlers for the year; their names were Jeff and Hub (short for Hubert; I asked). We have been put on a team together.

The meeting itself was little more than a reading of the bylaws, and then it broke up. Jeff and Hub decided to bowl a couple of games, and amazingly enough, I temporarily grew a set of gonads and asked if I could join them, since we would be bowling together anyway. They said yes. We made small talk and bowled a couple of games. I am pleased to say that of the three of us, my skill level is right smack dab between the other two. Jeff isn't as good as I am, and Hub is far better. So on first impression, this could conceivably work out. We will find out when the league starts in earnest, which will be on the 14th of September.

Eric Out.

No comments: