Thursday, August 27, 2009

Small World!

Mad magazine once said that if Senator Ted Kennedy was able to go on Bill O'Reilly's show and be permitted to speak uninterrupted for thirty seconds, there was no telling how many minds he would be able to change. Senator Kennedy was correct not to ever go on his show. The world lost a great man this week, and I am so glad that the news outlets are giving as much time to his legacy as they did to Michael Jackson's. Mr. Kennedy is far more deserving anyway.

Enough of that. Here is my latest.

Back in July, I wrote here about a gentleman I saw at the bagel place that had a car that was completely plastered with bumper stickers. In the paper today, they ran a little article about him. I had told my father about this guy when we went to see "G.I. Joe" a couple of weeks ago, so I called him and told him about the article.

I happened to be in Sterling today, so I stopped at the Target there to pick up a few things (and for the record, even though I heard two team members talking about Eddy, I didn't see him), and as I left, I saw that very car, and the driver. I pulled up, rolled down my window, and told him that I saw him in the paper this morning, and gave him a big thumbs up. We actually chatted for a few minutes, and he seemed quite affable. I didn't get into the questions of whether he has created a driving hazard with all the bumper stickers (or about the resale value of his car), but I did ask him why he put the Porsche logo in the front and the BMW logo in the back. He just said it was for fun. I accept that. He complimented me on my car (saying it was actually better for the environment than a hybrid), and told me that because of his bumper stickers, sometimes he gets a thumbs up, and sometimes the middle finger. I told him that his politics got a big endorsement from me.

Other than that, it was a pretty humdrum day off, with an extra mall walk thrown in for good measure. 

Eric Out.

No comments: