Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Few Ramblings

After a relatively busy day at work, it was nice to come home and whip up some dinner and just chill (although butting elbows with Julie is a challenge). After a relatively cool June and July, we finally got a big whopping dose of summer heat and humidity, and I really didn't want to do much more than hunker down here and relax. Since I haven't had a whole lot happen during the past two days, I am just going to spit out a bunch of random thoughts and see if any of them stick.

First, I found one of my guilty pleasure songs from the 1980's on YouTube: "Sugar Don't Bite" by Sam Harris. If you have never heard of this song, don't sweat it. Not too many people have. Artistically, it is about the biggest piece of crap ever committed to recording tape. The only instrument played on the entire track is a very scrrechy synthesizer, and Sam Harris sounds like a woman who is getting goosed every time he sings the chorus. If you listened to this song and no other by him, you would have no idea that he could actually sing (or that he was a man, for that matter). Our pop radio station at the time ("Q107"), played it to death until it peaked at #36 on the chart, and it was never heard again.

What's even more frightening (even more frightening than the outfit he wears in the video) is that I used to own this thing on a 45 rpm single. I would download it, but it is not on iTunes.



I have now owned this car for two months, and the novelty has started to wear off a bit. I guess when one takes his first long trip in it, that is when that happens. Although Julie and Cleo don't know it yet, I have started to take drinks into the car with me. I don't plan on letting them do the same anytime soon. Julie, being a pig with no respect for others' property, would probably make it a point to spill Hawaiian Punch in it.

Things have settled down with Justin; he is back to calling me on a daily basis. He is working to get his bank issues resolved, and has not pressed the issue of my loaning him money again.

I am looking forward to this bowling league starting. I don't know the age or gender demographics of this league, but I am going with a smile on my face and with the idea that I am there to socialize and bowl. I don't plan to look at every single man there as a potential boyfriend; that would be a mistake on so many levels.

Believe it or not, I have managed to be a little bit better with my eating. I have managed fewer than 1850 calories each day this work week so far; let's see if I can keep it up. My dinner was not bad, and I am actually still hungry. So I should be back on track. The last thing I ever want to do is let myself go and wind up at 300 pounds again. I have put on 17 pounds this year; now I want to get back to 160 or so. I just wish I could stay in control on my days off.

And it would appear that Out magazine has changed its logo yet again. They seem to do this every few years. I think they last changed it sometime in early 2007. I wonder if this means that they changed editors-in-chief again.

This is really going nowhere, so I am signing off.

Eric Out.

No comments: