Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Little Music Memory

I am deeply ashamed to admit that back in the 1980's into about 1991, one of my favorite bands was the post-Marty Balin era of Jefferson Starship, and its successor, Starship. Their Nuclear Furniture album, which I bought on 10/23/90, has two distinctions: first, it was the first CD I ever bought, and was my very first credit card purchase. And when Tana reads this entry, she is going to have a conniption over the fact that I remember this date.

In 1991, after they broke up, there was a greatest hits album that had two songs that were previously unreleased, "Don't Lose Any Sleep" and "Good Heart". I bought "Good Heart" on cassingle (which dates me horribly), but there was no way that I was going to buy an entire CD for two songs.

I was poking around online last night, and I discovered that the folks at Sony/BMG have decided to dump the entire Jefferson Starship catalog onto iTunes. I downloaded those the two songs I mentioned, but it got me thinking. Their "Modern Times" album was never released in this country on CD, so on 11/17/00 (this date I looked up), I spent a small fortune on an import copy on Amazon; the copy I had prior to that was on cassette. If iTunes had existed back in 2000, I could have saved a good bit of money.

But this is why I like iTunes. Like I mentioned recently with Gordon Lightfoot, these albums have been out of print for a zillion years, the record company didn't have to spend any time or money manufacturing or distributing records; they just convert them into a series of ones and zeros, and now this music is accessible to anyone who wants it. 

Now, if only someone would explain to me what the hell is going on in this video:



I know the origin of the green chair (it's on the cover of Nuclear Furniture, where this song came from). And I guess they had to find a way to cram all seven members of the band into the video, so they had Donny Baldwin lifting weights in bed and Grace Slick in a weird costume. But I am completely at sea as to the rest.

And even more frightening? This video is twenty-five years old.

Eric Out.


No comments: