Thursday, October 15, 2009

Another Safe Haven From Julie Gone

My loyal readers know that one of my favorite places to eat dinner (especially on a day off, or if I am off the following day) is Reston Kabob. The food is great, the drink refills are free, the atmosphere is improved greatly by a really cute (but straight) fella working the counter, and there is a 7-Eleven next door where I can buy a copy of the Washington Times to read while I wait for my food. But the one thing that sets it apart from other places is that there is not one single vegetarian item on the menu. So it has the added advantage of being a place where I can go eat and not be bothered by Julie.

Well, this evening found me putting my groceries away after a quick Target run when Cleo and Julie walked in and Julie announced that she is back to eating meat on a regular basis once again. She then added, "so the next time you go to Reston Kabob, I'll join you!" Um, no you won't.

The only times Julie has gone there with me had resulted in my apologizing to Cutie Pie at the counter the time following that; she created such a scene that I was afraid to go back. Fortunately, when I go to Reston Kabob, it usually is on a day off, when I go at about four in the afternoon (giving my body a chance to get used to all the sodium before going to bed), or on my way home from work after a trying day, when all I want to do is sit and stare at the the aforementioned Washington Times and do my Jumble while catching up on all the great things that President Obama is doing and how much the Times hates them. So the chances of her joining me for kabobs (at least there) are pretty slim.

The way that Julie announced this, one would think that it was something that really made a difference in my life, like if she were pregnant. Or that Cleo finally came out of the closet. But it has nothing to do with me. And the fact that they went to M&S Grill (which isn't cheap) to eat bothers me, since they are always whining about money.

It is raining tonight, and for once, I am actually enjoying it. I have wanted to just have a rainy evening to hunker down for a while now, and hopefully I will have the rain to listen to tonight as I sleep. I ate 2200 calories today, which is about normal for what I should eat, even if it is a little more than I ate yesterday. Let's try to keep this up, and not eat any more than that for the days that are coming up.

The only thing that didn't thrill me was going to Target tonight for groceries. But I had a coupon for my frozen dinners, and I have to make sure the freezer stays stocked, even after my vacation starts, so they won't take over my space while I'm gone. But I got my stuff, got three Goldfish crackers for work (they were on sale; five bucks is a small price to pay to get my coworkers to shut the hell up).

A good night's sleep was certainly what I needed last night, and, with the Tylenol Cold, I was in slumberland very quickly, and did not wake up until the alarm went off. Today marked my 77th day of walking, but tomorrow I will have to figure out what to do. On my late shifts, I have gotten into the habit of parking my car near my building, walking to the mall nearby, doing my laps, and walking back. Unfortunately, it isn't July anymore, and it isn't supposed to get above 42ยบ tomorrow. It is supposed to rain tomorrow as well, and it is hard to walk laps with a coat and an umbrella, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh. So I just might walk laps in my building. It might be a skosh boring, but I will get my walking in.

So, once again, my mood has improved. I got through the day with only minimal annoyance, and have begun hunkering. My vacation begins in six more shifts, but the next two are almost like one; between 12:30 tomorrow and 6:00 on Saturday, I will have completed two days' worth of work in 29 1/2 hours; and then the stretch is halfway done.

So we're done here. Good night.

Eric Out.

No comments: