Thursday, October 29, 2009

They Say Vacations Are For Doing Something Different...

I suppose that this is true, even for surprise forced staycations. And although yesterday found me doing mostly my typical crap that I do on my days off, Diane had let it slip that she and her friend Brenda were planning to go to see "This Is It" at the theatre that night.

I went to the mall kiosk where Diane works (after walking at Fair Oaks and spending about two hours at the nearby Barnes & Noble reading the latest edition of the Bathroom Reader), and told her about my evening chatting up Kirk the Cute Bear from Minnesota. I also asked her if I could join them to see the movie. I had wanted to see it, and I made "Bambi Eyes" at her and stuck my lower lip out until she told me I could join them. Brenda got the tickets and met us at the theatre.

The movie was okay. It was essentially a well-edited concert documentary. In spite of all that overshadowed Michael Jackson, I consider him to be one of the most talented entertainers that ever lived. You could see in this rehearsal footage that he was getting weaker, though. I couldn't help but notice (especially with "Thriller") that his dancing was starting to get very weak, and he said quite a bit that he needed to save his voice. But the only time he even looked remotely alive was when he was on the stage performing.

It is also sad that these dancers, musicians, backup singers, and all of the others who were working on this concert worked so hard for a concert that never happened. I just hope they still got paid.

Today began as most of the other days have begun: with me trying to talk myself out of walking. I ignored my own excuses and wound up getting started at 9:30, and was finishing up lap five at Dulles Town Center when I noticed that a kiddie musical act "Rocknocerous" was setting up. I mentioned to the fellow on the stage that this would explain the influx of munchkins in the mall. He echoed the sentiment, omitting the word "munchkins." I told him I got a late start walking, but I wasn't usually at the mall by then. He said, "when you're done, stop by."

I walked my last lap, then stashed the dork weights in my car, and went to where this concert was taking place. I realize that a gay guy wearing a t-shirt with "Sesame Street " characters might not look good to a bunch of mothers with young children. I know that I wouldn't do a thing to harm a kid, but I don't want to raise eyebrows. So I took a seat at the tables behind the Caribou Coffee, and watched from that distance.
You know what? They did a great show. I encourage anyone who might have young children to go see them; they perform on Thursday mornings at eleven, but they may be canceling the show next week because one of the members might be in the maternity ward where his wife may be giving birth.

After the show, I went to the guy who had invited me to watch, and complimented their performance. I might buy one of their CD's for Josie for Xmas, if my stupid music snob brother will let her listen to it.

I know that everyone is going to think I have completely lost my mind, but tonight Julie, Elaine, and I are going to have eat-till-you-puke chicken tenders tonight. Keep in mind, though, dear readers, that I don't usually eat like this, I have been forcing myself to exercise every day, even though I wouldn't be if I were in PA, and I'm on vacation. Once I get back to work, it will be time for 1600-1800 calories a day for who knows how long.

Also, in anticipation for this, I have not eaten much today. I didn't eat breakfast this morning; I had planned to go after walking, but I wound up at the concert. So I went to the Bagel Cafe afterward and had a sandwich. That should hold me until tonight. If I am going to do this, I want to be good and hungry.

I will probably have all this out of my system by next Tuesday. I will be ready to get back to my lower calorie eating. I sure hope so. Perhaps to encourage myself I should dig out my old Subway card and load it up upon returning to work.

Eric Out.

No comments: