As you know, I am committed to going to this Sunday brunch. I figured that I should come up with what outfit I should wear in an attempt to make a semi-decent impression when I walk in the door. I know that jeans would be a good start, but I had to think of the right shirt. So I started to rule things out. I don't want to wear something inappropriate for my age (so nothing bearing the words "Abercrombie" or "Fitch"), nor did I want to wear something pandering to the fact that this is a gay brunch (so ixnay on the "Hate Free Zone", the "Yes I Am", or "Before I say yes, can I get a look at your dick?" t-shirts), or something that was just plain wrong (sorry, "Sesame Street", Spongebob, and Popeye t-shirts, you also have been voted off the island).
So I figured that maybe a polo shirt might be the best bet. Unfortunately, the only polos I own are the pink one from Abercrombie & Fitch, and one that I got from my uncle that is just to stretched out and makes me look fat. So tonight I went to Target and spent ten bucks on a polo.
Since the idea here is to blend in, I picked the most nondescript polo I could find, in the most innocuous color possible: beige. So between a beige polo shirt and a pair of blue jeans, I shouldn't stick out. Perhaps if I am wearing something that I think looks okay on me, I will be able to relax and make a decent first impression by making conversation.
I also have committed to going to a dinner with this social group the following Wednesday, at an Italian restaurant. So I have another shot at not fucking it up, provided that there are different people at this second event.
My lunch with my former boss went well, and I think that she really appreciated the fact that I paid for it. But she deserved it. She was the best boss I ever had, and her generosity (not to mention her advice on anything I asked, and an ear for anything) made it very easy to pay for her steak salad and cup of tea.
The more that my coworkers have been mistreating me, the better I feel for ordering all those magazines. I have read through the first two years' worth (they started as a bimonthly), and it is certainly interesting as a history lesson. It seems like just yesterday that we were worried about Y2K; we are now ten years past it, and all that went down last decade makes Y2K just laughable.
So now that my new polo and my khakis have been washed (and hung to dry), it is time to sign off. I know that tomorrow is going to be rough, but I will try to make the best of it.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment