Monday, June 21, 2010

Sometimes Angry Mall Walking Doesn't Help

I hope that I get a reward somewhere for dealing with some aspects of my life.

I have been taking a couple of those back issues of Instinct that I bought to work each day since I have received them, and have essentially buried my nose in them. Since Problem Coworker #1 has been so difficult recently, it seemed like a good idea to just read and not attempt to make too much conversation.

This apparently backfired. PC #1 saw the cover of the issue (from 2000; there was some guy in a swimsuit on it), and waited until I had gone to the restroom to go to the assistant manager and report it to her. When I got back, she said, "go get your magazine and let's talk." She asked me what it was. I told her that it was Instinct, and that it was a general-interest magazine geared toward gay men. I then flipped through it and showed her some of the contents, and she asked me if it seemed appropriate to read at work. I told her that I had been reading it since 2008, and PC #1 had seen it before, and it never was a problem. She then pulled us both into the office.

I then had to deal with being accused of bringing pornography into the workplace, and I had to listen to PC #1's claim having never seen it before (which I swatted down as a lie; I mentioned the hissy fit from last May over the title alone, among other instances where I mentioned it). I said that I had not mentioned it since then, that I wasn't reading it aloud, not showing any articles to anyone, and that the same type of photos could be found in Men's Health. Eventually the conversation ended, but I know this isn't over.

The assistant manager had to have a meeting with Human Resources about another unrelated incident concerning this coworker, and she said that if it comes up, the HR manager will be informed that we had discussed it. This was while PC #1 was at lunch. While this was going on, I went to my locker, where I had a copy of this magazine from 2006, and I did a little switcheroo. If the HR manager wants to see a copy of Instinct, that is the one she will see; the cover boy is wearing three layers of clothing, and there are far less racy photos (it's a lot tamer than it used to be).

And if PC #1 mentions last May's conniption fit to the HR manager, she already knows about it; I told her about it during my meeting with her last July. I have not tipped my hand to reveal this. And the HR manager isn't dumb; she will recall this.

I will still be taking a different pair of issues into work tomorrow; they are staying in my car until just before six o'clock, when PC #1 goes home. I have already glanced through them, and there is nothing too objectionable. And since I will be alone for three hours, no one will really see them.

After all this, when six o'clock rolled around, I realized that if I didn't walk a little to distract myself from all this, I would be overeating. And since I did plenty of that yesterday, (between brunch and dinner with the parents), I knew I had to watch it. I did two laps (an extra 2 1/2 miles or so), and came home. I ate about 2000 calories today; that should be all right.

Dinner was an okay affair; Bette really doesn't care one whit about my life, mostly just sitting there and staring at me when I talk about my life. This is why I don't bother calling very often.

Let's see how tomorrow goes.

Eric Out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Problem Coworker #1 is a fucking ass! Who cares if you are reading a magazine with a guy in a swimsuit on it? Look at all of the magazines geared toward women? What about the ones for heterosexual men? Let's think of the images on these magazines? Scantily clad women isn't objectionable? Also, you're right, Men's Health has men in it that are bare chested and such. What a fucking nit whit this this person is!

I see they must be a problem with others if there was to be another meeting regarding them.

Is PC #1 a man or a woman?

I'm so sorry you have to deal with such ridiculous shit.

I'm sending good vibes and love your way!

XO