I am sitting here at Panera Bread, taking advantage of their free wifi and having a bagel, a cup of Diet Pepsi, and little bit of "me time". I needed to get away from everyone for a little while; we are going out to dinner at some point, but I needed some quiet.
After Julie being at a conference for a few days, I finally collared her about the driving arrangements, making sure that I wasn't going to be isolated. We had what might as well have been our own Pride Party last night; Julie, Terra, and I watched "Connie & Carla" on my television downstairs, and the other two watched something else upstairs. We then all met in the living room and chatted for a while, until Elaine and I got tired; she slept on my couch.
I woke up at about seven, and hiked up to Burger King while everyone else did whatever. This way I could at least get some aerobic walking in today. When I came back, Julie cooked everyone else breakfast (I declined), and we started out a little after ten. Julie and Elaine went in one car; Terra, Cleo, and I went in mine. Julie was barely out the door before she started complaining about the heat.
Metro is undergoing some repairs and construction, so after one stop, we were all herded onto a shuttle bus to go to the next open stop. Then we had a long trip to where the Pride fest was being held.
Cleo and Elaine immediately ran off for parts unknown. The rest of us were together for a while. I was able to find the Dulles Triangles booth, and introduced myself, letting them know that I had joined their group. A representative told me that perhaps the movie night might not be the best way to start with; she recommended one of the smaller dinners, so I could get to know people more easily. (Note: at this point, I was called on my cell phone, and met the others for dinner. What I write after this note is back at home, at about 8:50 pm.)
I lost Julie and Terra when I went to one of several HIV testing facilities to get my blood tested. For the record, I am still negative. I then puttered around the fair for a while longer, stopping at the gay bowling booth. No one from my league was there, but I chatted with one of the people there, who liked my shirt. I decided to sit down for a moment when I caught up to Cleo and Elaine.
It turns out that perhaps losing Julie was the best thing I could have done. When the five of us gathered, it was at a Potbelly Sub Shop, because Julie had it in her head that she was just too hot and tired, and was going to have heatstroke. That is all we heard about from the moment we showed up at Potbelly until we all got home. Yes, Julie. We get it; you're hot. Shut up about it.
Cleo was a nightmare as well. He decided that the perfect accessory to go with his t-shirt and jeans was this hat that looks like the hat that the leather guy from the Village People wears. Straight people do that. He was sullen the whole time. When we were going home, it was just the two of us in my car, and he blamed the humidity. I blame the closet.
So, is it any wonder that I was ready to have some time to myself when I got home? Between Julie complaining nonstop, Cleo stewing, and Elaine starting to get a little bit sick of Julie's shit, I was ready to bolt. I had a feeling that Elaine wanted to come along too, but she didn't.
At dinner, I ate a lot, but I had eaten one breakfast sandwich, and the bagel all day. So I pretty much had a free pass for dinner. Plus I walked. A lot. I am quite tired now. When Terra and Elaine were getting ready to leave, I saw the look on Elaine's face, so I volunteered to walk her to her car. She was indeed sick of Julie, and of Julie's jealousy about how she and Cleo spend time together. I reiterate: CLEO IS NOT INTERESTED IN ELAINE LIKE THAT, JULIE!
So here it is, the end of the day. I have a nasty bruise on my fingertip (for some reason, it took a lot to get me to stop bleeding), I have a little bit of sunburn (Elaine's sunblock came in handy), and I am ready to go to bed. I am off again tomorrow. I don't know what the day will bring, but let's make the best of it.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment