Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Eve Eve

At five this afternoon, I finished my last shift before Christmas. And I don't feel that well.

Yesterday, as I have been dreading for some time, was my late shift. I got to work over three hours early so I could go walk for an hour at the mall before I started. 

Even at ten in the morning, the crowds posed a challenge. I had to bypass one part of the mall because the line to see Santa was stretching forever. But I walked for one solid hour, and headed into work.

Saturday was the day that my boss picked for my shared birthday lunch with a co-worker, and I was hoping to heaven that she would pick something that wasn't rich and caloric. I somehow gained three and a half pounds since Wednesday, and I didn't want to add to it. While it would have required me to consume more than 10,000 extra calories during those three days (my last entry would suggest this did not happen), I still didn't want to add to this. 

Unfortunately, the place my boss had chosen for the lunch was Maggiano's Little Italy, a place not exactly known for light fare. Adding to this was that our shelf in the office was piled high with junk and sweets, and after controlling myself for the entire holiday season, I fell victim to the "what the hell, it's Christmas" mentality and chowed down on every damn thing I could lay my hands on.

My stomach was killing me, partly due to the overindulgence, and also due to the constipation I have been having. Nothing was unblocking me...not greasy food, not tomato-based sauces, not high-sugar desserts. The pain was so great that I had no choice but to use a laxative.

So I got home at about 10:30, and after having a diet Sprite (in an attempt to settle my stomach), I went to the Batcave became the picture of efficiency: I shoved a suppository where it goes, then while waiting for it to work, I threw a load of clothes into the washer, went through my mail, and checked my email before darting to the bathroom. Let's just say that the three pounds I had gained are now in the sewer system. I went directly into the shower, put my clothes on hangers to dry, then went to bed. By then it was around midnight, and my alarm was set for 6:30, as I had to be at work the next morning at nine.

The only problem is that the suppository didn't seem to want to stop working. I got up a little after five, and just exploded all over again, ruining a pair of underwear, and staining another. I didn't even try to get back to sleep. 

I got myself together for work, nursing what I call a "food hangover." I ate my usual workday breakfast, then went to work. I felt lousy for most of the day, and although I was scheduled to work until six, I asked if I could go without a break and just leave at five. They knew that I had an upset stomach (I spared them the rest of these details), so they let me go; I went to Target to meet Diane for dinner with less than 750 calories consumed for the day.

We went to our favorite kabob place, where I had just a chicken kabob platter. I still feel bloated, but I know that it was a lot of food, but not a lot of calories. I could have very easily just relaxed for the rest of the night, but instead I decided to carry on the tradition from last December 23rd (also my last shift before Christmas) and clean the bathroom. Now I am waiting for the floors of the bathroom the bathroom and the kitchen to dry and for my laundry to finish before I go to bed. I am planning to get up early enough to go walking tomorrow before the mall gets too crowded, and then I will be going to Kyle and Kari's to stay the night.

I know that I will be eating like crazy during the next two days, but after that, it is back to what works: Subway, dork walking, and water. I am ready for it. I want the temptation of this time of the year out of here. 

So once again, it is almost Christmas. It is unbelievable how fast this year has gone by. I will have a full report on the evening of the 25th about Christmas.

No comments: