Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Snow Laughing Matter

I have been dreading today ever since I found out about the possibility of snow.

Well, today finally came, and I left the house about twenty minutes earlier than I usually do. Snow was falling, but the problem was that the cars were driving over it, melting it so it refroze into a sheet of ice. It took me half an hour to get onto the Toll Road, made trickier by somebody who somehow backed his behemoth Chrysler 300 into a ditch onto the side of the road. This is why I will never drive a rear-wheel drive car, unless I wind up moving to someplace where there is no snow.

The toll road was bumper to bumper, and suddenly cleared. And when I got onto Route Seven, it was empty. Although I didn't have time to go to McDonald's for my workday Morning Civility (which just involves a drink and the newspaper), so I grabbed a coffee at the Corner Bakery, and got to work.

I fielded calls from many people who were stuck in traffic. I don't know how I managed to be so lucky this morning, but I felt bad for everyone who took three hours to drive twelve miles. Why didn't they pre-treat the roads?

Since I tend to be a spaz about winter weather, I buried myself in paperwork for most of the day (finally opening the newspaper at about three this afternoon) to distract myself from the fact that I would soon have to make the commute home, at six. I also had to decide if I was going to do any walking tonight, or should I just head straight home.

When six o'clock rolled around, I just came home. It was good that I did, too; the Toll Road was clear and wet, but the snow was coming down, and the roads after I got off the Toll Road were still snowy. Although I feel bad that I didn't do walking, I ate very conservatively during the day (topping out at 1225 calories), and did my crunches and some leg exercises before settling in.

I am extremely drained. Work during the holidays is always hectic, and worrying about the weather (among other things) caused me not to go to sleep until about two in the morning. So I wound up getting through today on four hours' sleep.

I am working the late shift tomorrow, and I am wondering how it will be getting to work tomorrow. I want to get there so that I can find a parking place and do my walking, or else I will have skipped two days of exercise. And I really don't want to do this. They say it will be sunny, so much of this will melt off. I hope they are right.

No comments: