Thursday, December 20, 2007

Clue Wanted

It's hard to tell what is going on sometimes.

I am a member of InsightOut Books, which is a gay and lesbian book club. It is owned by the same people who run almost all other mail order book houses (Doubleday Direct), and they were sold earlier this year. Several months ago, I went to their website, and found the statement, "Sorry, we're no longer accepting new members into the Club." A Google search caused me to find out that they were closing down. I emailed the company, asking if there was a timetable for the closing of the club, and what the procedure for switching to another club would be. I got a very vague response, and the brochures I was receiving were lists of all available titles, with ever-deepening discounts. 

Since the announcement that the club was closing, my interest in the club had waned considerably, and I had not ordered anything since July. Basically, I have been waiting for the closure so I can switch to another club. I realized, however, that if I didn't order anything soon, they would just end my membership. I got an email advertising a "buy-one-get-one-free" deal, so I logged on and ordered seven books. 

But then I noticed that the "no new members" message was gone, and the old promotion for new members (four books for a dollar, and a free bag) was back. I clicked on it, and it seemed that you could once again join. It wasn't an old cached version of the join page, either; they were offering books that had just been my Editor's Choice. 

Another book club that had the "no new members" message was American Compass, the conservative book club that Doubleday Direct runs. I went to their website, and there was a message that they had been made part of the Conservative Book Club, which is run by another company. 

So I really don't know what to think. Either they put the "join now" link up as a mistake, or InsightOut Books has been sold to another company that is keeping it running, or (and I wish that this one were true) the negative reaction by gay folks like me over its closing was great enough that they are selling off old inventory and keeping the club going. I guess I will find out.

I don't know if speculation about a mail-order book company really justifies an entire blog entry, but we have to keep in mind that I have enjoyed reading books from it since I joined. Plus, it is a matter of my being a little sentimental. I saw the advertisement to join this club in my first issue of "Out" magazine, which was a gift subscription from Julie and Cleo. I decided to join, and put the postcard into the mail on the 13th of January, 2006. I consider it the last carefree thing I did that entire year. The very next day, I came home from work to find out that my niece Cathleen had been diagnosed with spinal and brain cancer. Those who followed me here from my old blog know how that story ended: she died in July of that same year.

I don't know how my eating went today. I ate what I eat on a normal day off (and less than last Thursday), but I am concerned because I ate an awful lot yesterday, and will not be able to count my calories tomorrow or Saturday. But I just have to force myself to get back on track whenever I can between now and Christmas, and then it is back to old habits on December 26th. And I must keep in mind that my goal was 165 pounds, and I weighed 159.5 yesterday. I have five pounds of wiggle room. It is extremely difficult to gain five pounds in less than a week. 

No comments: