As I mentioned in yesterday's blog entry, my birthday was today. I am now thirty-six years old.
It was with a great deal of trepidation that I stepped on the scale this morning. On Saturday, I weighed 161.5 pounds, and ate like a glutton on Saturday. On Sunday I was a little better, but still indulged at dinner with my parents, and included walking. Monday and Tuesday found me back to my usual habits, and something must have worked, because I was at 159.5 pounds this morning.
So I don't feel bad about my eating a little too much today. For one thing, it is my birthday, and I have discovered how high my metabolism is. I had lunch with my friend Dottie today, and instead of the grilled shrimp, I had this dish which had steamed shrimp and broccoli over brown rice, topped with Monterey Jack cheese. Except for the cheese, how bad could it be? I stopped at Corner Bakery on my way back from lunch and got two cookies (with the gift card that Dottie gave me). I thought it would be all right.
Then our part timer came in with a huge birthday cake for me and another coworker, whose birthday is this coming Saturday. I had a piece of that as well. So I was pretty looped with sugar this evening. As a result, I decided to bypass Subway tonight and just hit the mall and walked.
Although I don't want to gross anyone out, before I could walk, I had to find a bathroom very quickly. This also happened to me last Saturday night; all of the sugar and whatever just flew through me, and both then and tonight I had a rather leg-numbing experience. I guess my body just kicks all of this out of my system.
So I braved the crowd at the mall (which was very similar to a Friday night most of the year) to walk my three laps. It took longer than usual, partly because of dodging crowds and partly because I wasn't feeling particularly peppy today. I then went to Target and, instead of the usual popcorn, I had a couple of their hot dogs. I wanted something other than pure carbohydrates tonight. I also bit the bullet and got Kyle and Kari a little gift for Christmas. I know I'm not supposed to, but it was just a little something to show that my heart is in the right place.
It was time to go home at that point, where I quickly wrapped said gift, and got a message on my answering machine from Kyle about my coming over on Christmas Eve to celebrate my birthday. They said that they have gifts for me that should only be opened with a "limited audience" (meaning no parents). Hmmm...I wonder how they fit a cute hirsute Latino man into a box and wrapped him?
So I am now settled in for the night, having showered (following another leg-numbing in the bathroom) and now my birthday is over. I wish that Beth and Tana had called me to wish me a happy birthday, but I can't get everything, can I?
I will get in touch with them tomorrow. I am blessedly off, and then it is three more shifts until Christmas. It's almost over!
No comments:
Post a Comment