As you know, whenever I have a day off, after four in the afternoon I spend the rest of it worrying about what I will find when I get back to work. Yesterday was no exception. But I am happy to report that nothing too terrible happened. After doing my walking in the early morning, my workday began in earnest with coffee courtesy of my boss, then I got the work done, and Petunia Gray was actually civil to me. And when I offered up my copy of Us Weekly to borrow, it was accepted. I am still monitoring every word I say, though; I don't want some comment to come back and haunt me later. Of course, we have to remember that Petunia Gray's credibility is shot anyhow. I don't think that loaning a trashy celebrity gossip magazine is going to haunt me; if anything, it makes me look like the better person. It was busy, but uneventful. I hope it continues like this for the rest of the week. I also hope my eating continues like I did today as well (under 1600 calories). I am working the closing shift tomorrow, and my boss is working early. So I shouldn't be tempted with any out-of-plan eating.
I spoke to Justin a couple of times today, but in all of our conversations he somehow forgot to mention what he wrote in an email at ten this morning. Basically it said that he has to move home because the cut in his hours means he can no longer afford to live in the room he rents. Fortunately his parents are okay with him moving back, but I hope that he and his father will be okay. Their clashes are what drove him out in the first place. I wonder what is going through this boy's head. Perhaps it is a good thing that we don't see each other that much.
It is extremely raw outside right now. I'm missing summer in a big way. I may have to alter my morning walking routine now that it is getting colder. Since June, my routine has consisted of driving to Tysons, grabbing my dork weights and iPod, and going to the mall for an hour's walk before driving to work. Unfortunately, I have to park on the fourth floor of the parking garage, and I have to wait for the elevator so I can go down to enter the mall. And once I am done I have to reverse the process. This was just fine in the summer, but now it means that I am spending too much time outside without a coat. And when I walk, I work up a sweat, so I am risking getting sick by walking back to my car with a wet shirt. I will see what I can do about this, but the last thing I want to is go back to walking in the evenings. Walking in the morning puts me in a better frame of mind for work, and when I walk in the mornings I find, to quote the old Jhoon Rhee commercial from the 1980's, "nobody bothers me."
If you are not familiar with this commercial, here it is:
This commercial used to show up all the time during daytime television when I was a kid. They even used to have the same two kids (now as adults) show up on another commercial. And yes, the guy still winked after he spoke, even as a man. If I can find that commercial, I'll post it.
Eric Out.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment