Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Flattened by a Stomach Virus

It is 3:30 in the afternoon, and I have been dressed for only half an hour.

I started to feel a little bit queasy last night at about 10, and I tried to go to bed, but my stomach kept on churning until I went to the bathroom and had a diarrhea attack that lasted nearly half an hour. I still felt bad, but went to bed and tried to get some sleep.

I plodded out into the kitchen at 7:45 this morning, and I told my aunt (who is a nurse) that I had a headache, had this problem with diarrhea, and just felt weak. Her response: "oh, crap." I said, "literally." Even when I feel like I've been run over by a truck I still crack jokes. But anyway, she apparently saw the color drain from my face, and asked if I was feeling faint. Originally, I said no, but quickly found myself clutching the back of the sofa and coming close to blacking out. My aunt put me on a sofa, raised my legs, and I stayed there for a couple of moments. I then decided to go back to bed.

I emerged at about 12:30, and had a piece of toast with jelly (my aunt and uncle were having hot dogs, but the very idea was too much to bear). I then thought about sitting and surfing the internet but rather went back to bed and slept for a couple more hours.

I consider it beneath my dignity to spend the entire day in my pajamas, so at three o'clock I got up, got a shower, and got myself dressed. I don't know if I am going anywhere tonight, but I just don't want to eat dinner in my oversize sweats.

I was worried about my calorie intake during this trip. I'm not worried anymore. As I left the bathroom last night, I could clearly see that I was thinner. And I think I have consumed a grand total of 400 calories for today. So any culinary sins of the past week will probably be forgiven.

But this is not exactly the way I wanted to spend my vacation. Granted, the weather today has been downright horrible, so perhaps this was a sign for me to just stay in today. I guess I am feeling better, since I am now experiencing that malady known as "I have GOT to get out of the house!" But I don't think that will be happening today.

No comments: