The weather is awful today. I weighed in at 155 pounds, although this
might have to do with constipation and water retention, since I didn't
even make it to 1800 calories the past two days, and only had 1535
today. I will weigh tomorrow to find out.
All this being said, we will once again revisit another dissertation about the magazines I
read. My life is too exciting for words ain't it?
On January 29th,
I wrote an entry called "Eric's Magazine Rack"in which I listed and
talked about the various magazines I read. Upon receiving the final
issue of "Men" on Monday, I figured it was time for an update, as there
have been some changes.
First, "Men" is gone. No matter how
much they beg me to renew, I have no use for this magazine. Skin
magazines are fine to buy once in a while, but I don't really need a
steady diet of them. This is why "Unzipped" (which expires with the
September issue) is also history.
I had mentioned in that entry
that I was thinking about picking up "Harper's" for a year. So I went
to my friendly neighborhood Borders and grabbed a subscription card out
of the magazine. I noticed that there were quite a few of these in an
issue, and most of them had subscriptions for $16.95. I found one,
though, that offered a year for $12. I filled it out, and dropped it in
the mail with a check.
They must have realized it was a
mistake, because in March, when one would normally receive the April
issue, I received the March issue. A few weeks later, I received both
the April and May issues on the same day. In May I got the June issue. So in the space
of eight weeks, I have already received one-third of the year's
subscription. I don't know if I will renew.
When I was at Phil
and Keith's house for Memorial Day, I noticed that they had a gay
magazine called "Instinct" that was lying there. I would have looked
through it, but it was underneath a pile of other mail and I thought it
inappropriate to ask if I cold look at it. Who goes to a Memorial Day
barbecue to read, anyway? So I went to their website. It looked like a
decent enough magazine, but I wanted to actually read a copy before
making a decision.
So on Saturday, on the way to Justin's
grandparents' house, we stopped at Border's, where I bought a copy for
$5. I looked through it, and I came across the subscription card: one
year for $9.95, two years for $16.95, and three years for $19.95. I
filled out the card for three years, checked "Bill Me" and mailed it.
This comes to about 56¢ an issue. When we ran into Phil and Keith on
Saturday afternoon, I asked them if it was worth it. They said that as
cheap as a subscription is, it was worth it. I agree: even though the
articles seem to be written at a third-grade reading level, I still
found it good pool reading on Sunday afternoon.
Continuing on
the theme of impulse purchases (which is how I wound up with those skin
magazines in the first place), I was walking around theTysons area
yesterday morning prior to my late shift (outside, since it was nice)
when I stopped in at Borders (yes, another one!) and flipped through a
copy of "XY" magazine. While I didn't think that "XY" was worth the
price, "Genre," another gay magazine. When I saw the subscription price
(9.95 for two years), I figured that it was worth it, even if there are
only a few good articles. So another "Bill Me Later" postcard was in
the mail.
So here is the list of my current magazine rack:
Harper's, through February 2009
MAD, through March 2010
Entertainment Weekly, through May 2010
Out, through May 2010
The Advocate, through January 2011
Genre, through sometime in 2010
Instinct, through sometime in 2011
Of course, all of these depend on whether or not I cancel them.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment