Friday, June 6, 2008

Office Collections Annoy Me.

Things are changing at the office. One of my direct co-workers is retiring after thirteen years. Her last day will be on the fifteenth of June. To protect all involved, let us call her Daisy May. Daisy May's memory has been getting steadily worse and worse since about 2003, and it makes me wonder exactly whose decision this was. She has been giving me the cold shoulder for the past six months, except for her asking me a bunch stupid questions that she should already know. So I can't be too sorry that she is retiring.

Also leaving after five years is someone who is quite capable (who we will call Begonia Fay) but is moving on to better things. Her last day is the tenth, and I will miss her.

But the title of this entry is an indicator that I am not opining on whether I will miss Daisy May or Begonia Fay. My managers are taking up collections for going-away gifts for these two, and although they say it is "voluntary," I know full well that if I don't donate money to these two, I will look like the bad guy. So the "recommended" amount is $20 for Daisy May and $5 for Begonia Fay. So I have had to cough up twenty-five dollars for this.

But the expenses don't stop there! We are also having a going-away party for Daisy May on the fourteenth, in which everyone is to bring something to eat. Since they know that I don't cook (and my root beer floats last Christmas were a bust), I have been asked to go to the grocery store and get a vegetable platter. I am guessing it will cost me about $10. So now we are up to $35 for this. I don't really care about the five dollars for Begonia Fay, but why the hell am I paying out thirty dollars for a woman who has been nothing but nasty to me recently, who I will never see again since she is moving back to her country, and whose Alzheimer's has progressed to the point that she will have no memory of me whatsoever within five years? I think it is absolute bullshit.

And now, I wish to say that I don't know if I blew it or not, foodwise. I ate 2100 calories today, but walked this morning. I woke up at four o'clock this morning, unable to get back to sleep. At about 5:45 or so, I just gave up and got dressed. I threw a load of clothes into the washer before eating breakfast, and it was done by the time I finished eating. By then it was about 6:40 and I went to McDonald's for my Morning Civility. At about 7:30, I went to Tysons and walked my laps, and got to work in time for a cup of coffee. I have been getting in the habit of walking in the mornings these days, and someone told me that if you walk in the morning, it speeds up your metabolism for the rest of the day. I'd like to think so.

And the fact is, 2100 calories is a fairly normal diet for a man. So I shouldn't gain weight on it.

I got my CD's from www.cdbaby.com today, and since I am doing the rest of my laundry, I have all three of them in the player. So far, we have gotten through Steven Alvarado's "Bleed", and now I am listening to "Leisure" by Mike Morella. I had never heard of him before, but they were having a three-for-$15 sale, so after listening to snippets of it, I bought it. It is pretty good. And guess what, Julie? I have no earthly clue what his sexual orientation is!!! But I don't think it will be the last album of his that I buy.

No comments: