Thursday, August 21, 2008

Losing My Resolve

I have been eating entirely too much lately. So far, I don't see any changes in my appearance, but since getting back from vacation I have been having some problems getting back to routine with my eating. My weight was unchanged in the past two weigh-ins, but Sunday and Monday saw me going somewhat overboard. Tuesday was not bad (about 1500 calories), and yesterday was a little more than that, since I was having dinner at Freddie's with Justin. I had one of their $5 burgers (it was bingo night), and three donuts from 7-Eleven, but mitigating things was that the burger was without a bun, and I went into dinner with 700 calories. And as always, I walked yesterday. So hopefully this (and today's activities) will make up for it.

Today saw me back on track, finishing the day at about 1300 calories. I got up and had a 250-calorie breakfast, did my walking, then met Justin for lunch at Ruby Tuesday, where I had the salad bar. Other than a little bit of bleu cheese and a scant bit of bacon and ham (and their lightest dressing), all that was on my plate was a pile of raw vegetables. That plus four saltines and a little bit of cottage cheese and I am estimating 350 calories for my entire lunch.

From there, we went bowling. I am impressed with myself; although I am a lousy bowler, I actually got a 92 on my third game, beating Justin for the first time. He had to go to a viewing for a co-worker's husband this afternoon, but we still had a little bit of time, so we went and walked around the Ghetto Mall, splitting a Target popcorn (150 calories).

We parted ways at about four o'clock. I drove home, planning to have the three turkey hot dogs that I had left, but I got home to find that two of them were gone. So I had the one that was left (155 calories), a cup of soup (260 calories), and a 100-calorie cookie pack (take a wild guess), making a grand total of 1265 calories. I will be joining Cleo and Julie at a restaurant tonight, but I will just be having a soda. Cleo (who confessed to eating my hot dogs, thinking they were his) and I will be walking a few laps at the mall once dinner is done. 

Hopefully, with working the next three days, I will get myself back on track. If I can avoid temptation, that is. One temptation is my boss, who brought food on Sunday, and also bought dinner for us on Tuesday night. How can I say no to that without being rude? 

Let's change colors to orange for my next topic. For Cleo's birthday, I got him a subscription to a magazine he wanted, for which I wrote a check on July 13th. Cleo and I were both beginning to wonder if the magazine had received the payment, or if the magazine had folded. I don't really know what they were doing with my check for a month and a half, but it finally cleared yesterday. So I told Cleo that he should start getting his magazine soon.

I got my new issue of Instinct yesterday. For those who have lost count, this makes my third issue (they sent me a copy of the July issue after the August issue, for whatever reason). Yet the one thing they still have not sent me is a bill. One of my heroes is William Gaines, the founder of Mad magazine, who used to dun people who didn't bill him promptly. He was  obsessive-compulsive like me, and had to get everything done at a certain time. So perhaps I should emulate Mr. Gaines and get on the phone and in a singsong voice, say, "Didn't I order a magazine subscription from you? Didn't you send me three issues? Wouldn't you like your money? Please send me a bill!" My $19.95 bill will now be on my fourth monthly budget list. I plan to give this bill a grand send-off when I finally can put the dumb thing in the mailbox and settle this account until 2011, when it will be time to renew. I will be paying for it immediately, and if I opt for "Bill Me Later," hopefully I will have the good sense to return to these rather repetitive blog entries and act accordingly.

Back on July 28th, I was at the Ghetto Mall with Justin, and he stopped at the Bennigan's restaurant to use the bathroom. I told him that the way that Springfield Mall was dying, it is only a matter of time before Bennigan's closes down, and that we should try to eat there at least once before that happens. Well, folks, the very next day, every Bennigan's closed permanently. We were a day late. 

While we were there today, we looked into the window and it was obvious that no one who worked there saw this coming. The dining room is set with plates and utensils, and the ketchup bottles are on the tables, along with the dessert menu. According to what I read, the employees were given no notice whatsoever that they would no longer have jobs. I don't think that's very nice. I also wonder where one can get a Monte Cristo sandwich now that Bennigan's is closed.

Eric Out.

No comments: