Saturday, August 2, 2008

Three Fags At Six Flags

Perhaps this is not the most politically correct title for a blog entry in the world, but it seemed appropriate for the events of today.

Earlier this week, Justin clued me in to the fact that Six Flags America was having "Pride In The Park" day on the second of August, and he asked me if I was interested in going. The tickets would be half price if bought online, making them about $20. I wasn't particularly interested (amusement parks have never been my thing), but like I have said in previous entries, I have to learn to give and take. So I asked him if he could get the ticket and I would pay him back. I still owed him the money for my share of the bed and breakfast last weekend, so I just wrote him one check.

He also asked his friend Michael if he wanted to join us. Michael is about two years younger than Justin, and absolutely adorable. I met him at Justin's birthday party back in February, and I wanted to get to know him better. So when we were planning this trip, I suggested that Justin invite him. Much to my surprise, he said yes.

When I started out this morning for Justin's house, it was pouring down rain. I didn't know if this meant that we would be canceling, but since we had already bought and paid for the tickets, we went to Michael's house, picked him up, took a side trip to the bank so Justin could deposit the check I wrote, and we were on our way. 

We got there at about eleven o'clock, and the rain had pretty much stopped. Justin and Michael had a grand old time going on roller coasters. I had gone on one of these roller coasters the last time I had been there (in 1996; it was still called "Adventure World" at the time), and there was no way that I was going on one of these. 

My interest is more in the water rides. I went on three of them. Two of them (Shipwreck Falls and Renegade Rapids) were great, but one of them was just horrible. It was from the part of the park called Gotham City, and was called Penguin's Blizzard River. It was just a tube ride where the tube just spun around continuously as it went down a steep slope. I got extremely dizzy, but Justin started feeling queasy at that point.

But it was his judgment that led to this. After Michael and Justin waited forever to go on the Joker's Jinx, they bought a five-pack of Flash Passes, which enabled them to jump to the front of the line on certain rides. The next ride was the Blizzard River, and then the Superman Ride of Steel. So, within the space of half an hour, Michael and Justin went on two fast, twisty roller coasters and a spinning water ride. After that, we went on Renegade Rapids. Justin went to the bathroom and threw up at that point.

By then, I was done. Michael wanted to go on one more ride, but Justin said he only wanted to go on one if it was a water ride, and I was done for the day. I was tired, hungry (and loath to pay their outrageous prices for food), and sunburned. So we left and went to Five Guys for dinner. I think that with all the walking I did today at the park, I don't think it will affect me too much.

As for the "Pride in the Park" aspect, I didn't see an awful lot of gay people. You could tell who was gay, though, by the comments they made about Justin's shirt (which read "I Recycle Boys"). He had insisted on my wearing his "You Have To Blow Me To Know Me" shirt, but when I read the park rules, it said that there were no shirts with objectionable comment allowed. So I just put on the shirt I was wearing in the first place.

We then went back to Justin's house, where I made brief small talk with his parents before I called it a day and came home. My face, arms, and scalp are now sunburned, but hopefully they will be cooled off before I go back to work in two days.

Eric Out.

No comments: