Thursday, December 25, 2008

Beige...

Beige, dear readers, is the only way I can really describe Bette's Christmas dinner. So that is the color of the text of this entry, as well as the title.

I was supposed to go there at three, but my father called me to let me know that Bette had finished the turkey already, and told me that the dinner would be ready when I got there. So I grabbed my XM Radio and my presents and headed over there, stopping at 7-Eleven for a bottle of Diet Coke. 

It turns out that not only was dinner not ready, it wasn't even close. Bette was being difficult, since she was stressed about her dinner. Also, they had already opened their presents to each other this morning, instead of waiting until we were together. 

Dinner was finally ready at 2:30, which was when I was planning to be there in the first place.

One thing that I have mentioned before (in the original version of this blog) is that Bette can't cook for anything. Her holiday meal consists of a turkey breast (which is very dry), pan-baked stuffing (also very dry), peas, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut (I have never understood that one). 

I had my peas in a separate dish, so when I looked at my plate I couldn't help but notice that every single item on it was more or less the same color: beige. How on earth can a menu be so monochromatic? I ate exactly one plateful, and then we had ice cream cake (left over from my birthday) for dessert. After this, they got to watch me open my gifts from them, but I had to wait for them to open mine until Bette was ready. This made me feel very self-conscious.

Since the three of us cannot be in the same room for very long without a lot of tension, it was then that Bette pulled out the board games. We played several games of Sorry! and a game of Scrabble. I should have brought my Uno cards; I ordered them way back on February 9th (do we remember what happened that night, kiddies?), and have never opened them. We all had a turn winning at Sorry! and I mopped the floor with them at Scrabble.

Justin called me at one point, and my father knew full well who it was. I referred to him as "sweetie" and told him I loved him at the end of the conversation, and when I looked up, he had this very pained expression on his face. 

I am now officially finished with Christmas. I am listening to a few tunes on my computer. Even "Spa" has been playing Christmas music today. So there will be no more radio until tomorrow. I know that one of the XM holiday stations ("Holly") will be there until New Year's Eve, but I will not be tuning in to it. Christmas is over, along with this as an excuse for eating too much. I am hoping to get my willpower back, and power walking begins again tomorrow morning, before work. 

Eric Out (again).

No comments: