When we last left, I was pondering what to do with the rest of the day. I wanted to go to Dulles Town Center for a walk, but Julie told me that since I had called off due to driving conditions, if I was seen there I might get into trouble at work. So I did what I said I would do earlier: I walked back to the Burger King (stopping at Rite Aid for a paper), then came back. My total walking was four miles: what I do at the mall each day, only at the mall I can listen to music and not worry about frostbite.
On the way back, Julie called me and asked if I wanted to join her to meet Cleo at Merchant's, where he was getting his car serviced. I said that was fine, but I was planning to go to Ledo for dinner. I decided to ask her if she and Cleo wanted to join me. First, Julie said that they couldn't afford it. Then she wanted to pull her usual restaurant switcheroo and start suggesting other places. I laid it down to her: I was interested in having pizza, I was going to Ledo, and she and Cleo were welcome to join me; if they wanted to go elsewhere, I would go to Ledo by myself. I had a hankering for pizza, and all of the ads on the local all-news radio station were convincing me. So the three of us went.
One thing about Julie is that she suffers from what I call the "I-Me-Mine" syndrome. I reminded them that I had to go home and call the county. She asked why, and I said, "remember what I have been talking about for the past month? My jury duty!" She claimed that she had memory problems due to stress. Of course, the only reason she can't remember it is because if it doesn't involve her, she doesn't care.
I finally got home and jumped online to discover that my group had not been picked. This is a relief, but I am not out of the woods yet. My term is two weeks, so I could still get called next week. But for now, we are fine. So I let Justin know, and we are going to the museums tomorrow. I let him decide what we were going to do, and since he doesn't have a lot of money right now, that should be fine.
Of course, now I am worrying again about whether I will be called on the carpet for missing work today. There is no logical reason why I should, but you never know.
Cleo's car was ready by 8:30, so I took him over to claim it. I'm glad I ran my car a little bit tonight so hopefully it will start tomorrow morning when I go to Justin's. So until my next post...
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment