From the Fucking Cartier Pen, from 4:30-5:05 pm:
I dare say that this day has gone by at a fairly rapid pace. Even though there hasn't been a great deal of merriment in the room, the work, combined with semi-decent reading material has made it not too terrible.
Thinking things this past week, you might say that I have developed an appreciation for the Washington Times. On Tuesday and also yesterday, it was best termed my "waiting paper." As you know, I went out and bought a copy while waiting for Justin to be done at the dentist. Then yesterday, I finally got my kabob night with Diane. The weather was nice enough so I could essentially reenact the summer day I described before. I hiked to the gas station and picked up the paper, then walked to the Target, where I sat and read my right-wing news.
I found it interesting, but a little bit frightening. There are actually people who consider this their main source of news. It is clearly written on a lower reading level than the Post, and everything is judged in absolutes. But that is typical of conservative media, judging by such other media as Newsmax magazine and Fox News.
I don't know why I am getting so hopped up over print media lately; every other entry seems to have something to do with either magazines or newspapers. But I tend to become temporarily obsessed with one thing or another for a while, until I move on to something else.
Speaking of temporary obsessions, Julie has gotten involved with this movement called "voluntary simplification." She has declared that she is no longer going to be defined by her possessions, and that she is going to be selling off a lot of her worldly goods. She has also declared that she no longer wants to receive gifts for any occasion, but gift cards to Target are fine for basics.
We'll see where this goes. This is someone who cannot enter a retail store without buying something she doesn't need just because it is on sale. She has a history of being defined by her possessions; and whenever a certain one of her friends gets anything new, she has to have the same thing. So we will see; will this last as long as her current stint as a vegetarian (two years and change), or will this go the way of her asinine "personal concierge" business she started a couple of years ago before she realized that having a business requires actual work.
Amazingly enough, my Fucking Cartier Pen has not run out of ink since I bought that pack of refills. After being a gastronomical heathen for the past couple of days, I think I might have gotten myself together, as I finished out the day at about 1600 calories. I hope I can keep it up until I go on vacation. I am feeling so fat right now, but I still probably am not.
As normal, I have heard nothing from Kyle about Inese. I heard from my aunt that she is off the ventilator, but will probably never live independently again. Keep the good thoughts coming.
Right now, we are supposed to be in a state of blackout for Earth Day. I don't know what Julie is doing upstairs, but every light in the Batcave is on, I am doing laundry, and blogging while listening to the radio. It's not that I don't care about saving the planet, but (a) it is hard to do laundry in the dark (and with all due apologies to "Weird Al" Yankovic, regardless of whether or not I use a recommended bleach), (b) all of my lights are those energy-saving compact florescent bulbs, and (c) I am not going to be sitting here without my music.
I am now on my final stretch of days before I go on vacation. I hope no one starts trouble for me just before I leave. Five days to go.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment