Monday, March 2, 2009

Wow! The Hype Was Correct!

As you can tell by the time stamp from when I published this entry, I am home when I should be at work. So I am hunkering down right now. Julie is here too; Cleo takes the bus to work, so he didn't have the driving issues that Julie and I have. Plus, I have a feeling that he wanted to get away from Julie, so no amount of snow would make him stay home.

My day was supposed to begin at 10:30. I set the alarm for six and went to bed before ten. After having a bunch of weird dreams, I woke up at 3:30 and went back to sleep at 4:30. When the alarm went off, I got myself together to go to work, cleaned off my car, and headed out. 

I don't think they plowed the toll road at all; it was a mess. I didn't get very far when my boss called me on my cell phone. She said that if I couldn't make it in, don't worry about it. I told her that I was on the way, but I was going to turn around. She asked me how the roads were, and I told her how bad it was. So I turned myself around and came home. I then reminded her that we could take vacation or personal time for weather-related problems, and since I have a ton of vacation time, I was going to take a vacation day. Getting home was harder than getting as far as I did, as even more snow had fallen. 

Of course, I am worried about repercussions from doing this. But I have to remember that I have not taken any unscheduled days off since June of 2007, when I had to take a personal day to go to Ralph's funeral. This is either my thirteenth or fourteenth day I have missed in more than nine years at this job. And considering all the work that Petunia Gray has missed over the years (at first with fictitious stomach bugs, then with fictitious migraines), if I get any grief about it, I will be heading to HR for a chat.

I got home, talked briefly with Julie, then I changed socks, put bags over my feet, put on some sneakers, and went out. My paper had not been delivered (I didn't think it would be), so I hiked to Safeway to buy one, then went to Burger King. Walking and Morning Civility don't stop for a snowstorm, as long as I can get a newspaper and find an open fast food place. I didn't walk as much as I usually do, but I can always walk some more later. If I feel so inclined, I could go the 7-Eleven, buy a copy of the Washington Times, and have an Afternoon Civility. I would hit the kabob place, but I don't know if they will be open, and I just ate there on Saturday.

Wow! Just as I am writing this, it has stopped snowing, and the sun has come out. I hope that this means that the snow is over. I hope I don't get in trouble for not coming into work. But I should note what I just wrote above. Also, there has been no plow through here yet. So I still couldn't get there anyway.

While I was at Burger King, Justin called me. He had slept in his car last night in the parking lot at work (not wanting to miss a day), and I told him that I was taking the day off, and that I had walked there from home. He suggested that I walk the twenty miles to where he works so we could go to a movie after he got off. I told him no. If I go anywhere, it certainly isn't going to be twenty miles from here.

I am now looking at the Weather Channel, and it looks like we are seeing the back end of the storm. Good. This means that the snowplows can get around town and plow the roads without having to go back and re-do anything. We will see about tomorrow with my jury duty. 

I just have to laugh; we barely any snow in December, January, or February, and we get dumped in March. Oh well.

Eric Out.

No comments: