Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Day Begins and Ends @ Target

I woke up entirely too early this morning, and as I stumbled to the bathroom, I noticed Barbie's vapid smile through her plastic enclosure, once again taunting me for my impetuousness and foolishness. I knew that she needed to go away well before tonight.

So I grabbed ol' Barbie, stuffed her into a bag, and, at eight o'clock in the morning, I was returning the plastic bimbo to Target. The lady at the Guest Services desk (who was WAY too perky for my mood) asked me if there was anything wrong with it. I responded, "no, but there was something wrong with her intended recipient." About one minute later, I was out the door.

After stopping for breakfast, I ran into my former boss at the mall, and I told her I was going walking. So for most of my walk, she was with me, and we could catch up on things. I really miss our chats that we used to have, usually after I was done with my shift. I got really good at the Long Goodbye with her.

Once I got to the office, I noticed that everyone had brought food for the big Christmas potluck banquet. For the most part, I stayed away. I don't know what they were thinking about my not eating things; my excuse was that I wasn't on my lunch break yet. I did wind up having a very small amount of a couple of the items, but let's face it: I didn't want to participate in Secret Santa, and if I had my druthers, I would have avoided this feeding as well if I could get away with it.

The day was dreadful, since both of my evil coworkers were there, and they were ganging up on me once again. I was thrilled once seven o'clock rolled around and I had two hours without either of them breathing all the air in the room. While I was working by myself, the organizer of the Christmas party (and Secret Santa) came in and said, "I didn't see you eat anything!!!" I told her I had some of the food, but basically my attitude toward the whole thing stinks, and she knows it. But let's face it, hunny bunny, if you were treated like last night's can of Alpo on the sidewalk by the people with whom you share a tiny room, you wouldn't be too full of Christmas spirit either. The only thing I could do was go to Subway to have some dinner and hide from everyone for an hour.

I finally figured out what to get Diane for Christmas: one night, she told me that she was going to go see "Julie & Julia" with her girlfriends. So I bought her a copy of it on DVD. I also had a gift receipt for her, just in case she wants something else. That refund certainly didn't last long at Target.

I was thinking about having a hot dog while I was there, but the diet gods smiled upon me: the snack bar was closed. Thank heaven. I don't think I blew it today.

I am off tomorrow. It is almost eleven o'clock, and I have my pants in the washer. They are almost done, so once that happens, they go on hangers, and it is time for bed. I can do the rest of my laundry later.

Right now, though, I am hitting the space bar too soon a lot (and causing me to backspace an awful lot), so it is time to end it here.

Eric Out.

No comments: