I'm glad to report that I finally got to have some dinner with Diane last night. I let her pick the place, which was Mimi's Cafe. I wasn't too thrilled with it, but she seemed happy. And for someone who has been without a full-time job for nearly a year, I am glad to do something for her.
After the irritation with Guy the other night, I wasn't surprised that he didn't call me last night. I had called him at work yesterday to say hello, but I was wondering if that would be the last I would talk to him. I have been pretty blunt with my declaration that "dating" does not mean sitting on his bed and watching holiday cartoon shows on television. I was wondering if we were still on for my meeting his coworkers at dinner on Saturday night.
So imagine my surprise at about 6:30 tonight when he called me at work. He apologized for not calling me, and told me that he had come down with some sort of stomach bug and went home, and then called off today. He then said that he was canceling the dinner tomorrow.
Uh, right.
This business of canceling and changing plans is another red flag that this is really not going very well. If he is truly sick, that's fine. But he seemed fine yesterday afternoon, and this is rapidly becoming a pattern.
At least I won't have to worry about whether I can go walking before I go see my Josie to decorate the gingerbread house on Sunday.
I decided that I wanted a kabob for dinner tonight, but I didn't want to wait until I got home, so I went to this place that Sean and I had gone to some time ago. We had gone there at some point when it was quiet, so imagine my surprise when I walked in there and found it packed, with the air heavy with hookah smoke.
Virginia just instituted a smoking ban in all restaurants, but smoking is allowed as long as the smoking section had a separate ventilation system. Unfortunately, the non-smoking section in this place consisted of three tables in a back area by the bathrooms. So I sat with the hookah smokers, and got a headache while waiting for my food, and while eating.
It felt as if I had stepped into another country: I was the only white person there, an Arabic news channel was playing on the television, and no one was speaking English. But I am not being negative here; I found it interesting. This is why I like living here; you don't get this kind of experience where my aunt and uncle live.
Since I have been hanging out with Guy (who smokes), I have gotten used to peeling out of my clothes the instant I land in the Batcave. And tonight, I absolutely reeked. So I have had extra laundry to do in the last couple of days: two sweatshirts, my fleece vest, my fleece pullover, and all of my shirts. They are now done.
I don't know if it is from the hookah smoke, the food, fatigue, or psychosomatic problems from Guy, but my stomach is not feeling too great right now. If Guy was being truthful and had a stomach bug, it is highly likely that he could have given it to me on Wednesday. Let's make it an early bedtime tonight, and see what happens.
It is supposed to snow tomorrow. I will believe it when I see it; it probably won't even stick to the pavement, since it hasn't been below freezing in ages.
More later.
We done. We out.
No comments:
Post a Comment