I guess reality had to dawn sooner or later.
Last night, I got a phone call from the assistant manager, telling me to report to work at eleven, and work until seven. I wound up going to bed at 8:15 for some reason, and promptly fell asleep. Except for a few moments where I woke up, I slept soundly until the alarm went off, at seven.
I went upstairs with the idea of digging out my car, but Julie told me that Cleo already was using the snow shovel. We went out together, and Julie asked a neighbor to borrow a snow shovel. Cleo and I then went to work, digging out both our cars, and then he started digging out Elaine's.
Two more incidents getting my car stuck (and getting three of the neighbors to give me a push), and I was out of the cul-de-sac, carefully getting myself to work. I didn't walk in the mall this morning; I didn't have the time, and with the five miles of walking in the snow (which is probably why I sacked out so early last night) and the snow shoveling today, I think I got my exercise in.
I had a splitting headache for most of the day, but once I got through the initial disaster of the morning, it slowed down, and the day was over almost as soon as it began.
I went home (stopping at Target for a couple of hot dogs for dinner), and fed the cats. Julie and Cleo are traveling to upstate New York to spend Christmas with Cleo's parents. I thought they were kind of nutty leaving today, since the winter wallop we just had was traveling in that direction, but they insisted. They apparently also insisted on leaving me with a mess in the kitchen. I took out the trash (falling flat on my ass in the process), cleaned up the dishes, and ran the dishwasher. I then came downstairs, ran a load of laundry, watched "Family Guy", and showered.
This is where we are now, with me in my pajamas. My parents are taking me out for lunch tomorrow for my birthday, and then I have the last bowling night before we take a couple of weeks out. We start up again in January.
I sincerely hope that we don't have another storm like this anytime soon. The good news is that my company is paying us for yesterday, without using any vacation time. So that is a good thing.
But it looks like we are seeing the other side of this winter event. I survived, got to work and back in one piece today, and got plenty of exercise. I am off the next two days. I wonder if I will wind up at the mall tomorrow. I hope I can get there to walk.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment