Wednesday, December 9, 2009

This Is Way Cool!

Back in November, Instinct magazine asked the following question about the movie "Brüno": is rolling every gay stereotype into one character offensive or just good satire. Since I had opined about this here in this blog, I decided to write to them, and say essentially the same thing I wrote here. Basically, I said that I wasn't offended, and since the gay community is being attacked by so many sides, we should focus our energies on something other than a movie. I also noted that we need to laugh at ourselves.

Earlier today, I wrote that I was waiting for the mail. I opened the mailbox to find a DVD mailer there. I thought it might be for either Julie or Cleo, and then I saw it was for me, and then saw that it was from Instinct. I tore it open to find a copy of "Brüno" inside, along with a form letter stating that I was a winner.

I had entered that contest halfheartedly thinking I had a chance to win, but I guess what I had to say was intelligent and articulate enough that it stood out. Or I was the only person who entered. Maybe I had a little bit of confidence because I thought about buying it but decided to wait until the results were announced.

I immediately told Julie; she won a contest back in April, and gloated that she was a winner of $5000 for telling the story of her cat. Unlike her, however, I actually got my prize. She still hasn't gotten paid. And she has borrowed money from Cleo's parents against that prize money. I wonder if she understands why I told her first.

I don't know why I am feeling so full of myself. Perhaps it is because I have had a bummer year, and it is nice to have something good happen. Or perhaps I like the fact that I won because of something I wrote, not just luck. When I read certain entries of this blog to my aunt her response was "You write very well about absolutely nothing!" That's right, Aunt Jean. This is the 485th post on this blog with no substance whatsoever!

So I am going to go watch my movie, and let the pizza digest. Yes, I went for pizza. I had hardly eaten anything all day. It should be fine.

Eric Out.

No comments: