Literally.
I woke up at 7:30 this morning, got dressed, and went out to start digging. The snow was still coming down like gangbusters, but I had to take a gamble; if I waited until the snow was finished, it would have been far worse. So I dug.
I got a path dug out to the sidewalk, and then dug out the plow leavings. That, again, was a judgment call. I already had a four-foot wall of snow that was about two feet high.
I dug that out, and then Julie asked me if I wanted a cup of coffee. I accepted, and then she went out to try to dig out her car. After about two minutes, she was complaining. I was heading out to go try to find a newspaper (mine didn't arrive), and she was claiming to be in such pain. I told her that I was heading out.
I walked the mile to Rite Aid. It was open, but they didn't have any papers. And as soon as I left, the power went out. I then walked the mile or so to the gas station, then to the 7-Eleven. No papers. I don't think they were distributed.
I also watched some really foolish people trying to drive around, including someone driving on the wrong side of the road. Why do people do this? Let the plows do their work. The only vehicles that should be on the road right now are plow trucks, emergency vehicles, and 4x4 trucks helping out with the first two categories.
I took my snow-covered self home (clearing the snow that had fallen on the walk since I had dug), and then Julie said that "although you will mock me", she didn't have the strength to shovel snow.
I reminded her that back when we had the blizzard in 2003, I was as fat as she is now, and I was still able to dig out my car. She made some cockamamie excuse that I had been big my whole life (and she hasn't?), so that's why I could still shovel snow back then. That I don't have someone to do everything for me, and with Cleo out of town, she is SOL.
What she wants me to do is dig her car out for her. She would be there, and I would be "helping" her, which translates to my doing 90% of the work. This is not happening. She did nothing to clear out the snow behind my car, so I am not doing that for her.
So I am staying in for now. The back end of this storm is now in Charlottesville. I hope that we don't lose power and that the roof doesn't collapse.
I also hope that Julie and I don't wind up killing each other.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment