I am the first to admit that I am not a perfect person by any means. I do try, though, and once in a while I see an opportunity to do something nice for someone and go for it.
I got off work at seven tonight, and my boss and co-workers were trying to give a gentleman directions to a bus stop so he could get to the Metro. My boss asked me to show him where the stop was, but when he told us that he took the Metro, two buses, and a cab to get to us, I told him that I was heading out, and offered to take him to a Metro station. He accepted, and I did this.
Although I told him that I was going in the opposite direction from where I live to the Metro station, I explained to him that it didn't bother me; I didn't get my driver's license until late (at the age of 25), and a lot of people gave me rides when I needed them, so this was how I returned the favor. I told him that my brother referred to it as "ride karma." I kept him out of the cold, it was a big half hour out of my life, and it helped out a young college student. And it didn't hurt that he was kinda cute.
Apparently I have a very trustworthy face and demeanor. Someone who has only been working with us for a short time found out I was going to pick up a coffee at the Corner Bakery, and asked me to get him some orange juice. I said yes, and then he handed me his credit card. I gave it back to him, saying that I wasn't going to do that. I don't want some charge to mysteriously appear on it, and be blamed. I would have preferred to pay for it myself and have him pay me back. I just hope that neither of these two people wind up trusting the wrong person.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment