Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hmmm....

A quick look at the calendar shows that Thanksgiving is about a week and a half from today. Normally, the holiday hubbub has started, yet for some reason, it doesn't even feel like the holidays are even approaching. Last year I noticed the advertising had really begun in earnest, and the malls were starting to get crowded. Now things are far more subdued.

Before I sound the alarm (as if the media hasn't already), I should remember that my routines are a little different now.  I no longer walk in the evening, having switched to the mornings in June. Since I am seldom at the mall when it is open (and only to go to Subway), I really don't have the slightest idea how crowded (or not) it is.

I also really don't know how the advertising is, either. My television watching habits are such that with the exception of the election returns a couple of weeks ago, I only have the television on for a few minutes a day. First I put on the Weather Channel to see what the temperature and such are like, and then I put VH1 on for a couple and watch a video or two while I get dressed. So I don't see a lot of commercials. And one of the many joys of satellite radio is that there is no advertising.

As it has become my Sunday habit, I have "American Top 40" on right now. It is from 1981, and the music certainly was lousy at this point 27 years ago. I think that the world was waiting for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" to pep up the world of popular music.

I should be looking forward to this dinner tonight, but I'm not. If I didn't show up, though, it would make me look bad. I don't have any excuses why I can't go, so if I don't, I look like less of a team player. What I really want is a kabob. I haven't been to the kabob place in more than a week, and if I didn't have to go to this dinner, I would be heading there for a late lunch. 

Eric Out.

No comments: