Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Any Monasteries Out There With A Vacancy?

There is clearly an art to going out and socializing that I do not possess.

After work, I had some dinner at Subway and changed my clothes in the bathroom there. You should have seen the looks on the other customers' faces when I emerged in my filmy blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I then went to the Metro and, with my heart in my throat, rode out to Dupont Circle. 

I got to the club that was supposed to have the '80s night, but when I went there, there was next to no one in the entire place, and the music they were playing was pop music on which someone seemed to have carelessly slapped a dance beat. 

In order to justify using their bathroom, I spent $5 on a rum and diet Coke. I am not much of a drinker, so I was at a loss as to what to do when they gave me a chip for a free second drink. Knowing that I had to drive myself home, I asked if I could just have a virgin version of it; in other words, the same damn thing I drink everywhere else. 

I really am wondering if I was even in the right place. But it was getting a little late (about 9), so I wandered around Dupont Circle for a little bit before coming home, completely disillusioned. I would have gone somewhere else, but I had no idea where to go, and since I was already down, I wasn't about to make being depressed my first impression at another gay bar. I'm just glad that I could limit my stress eating to a few light Pringles. And I am delighted that a rum and diet Coke only has about 110 calories.

But like I said, there has to be some art to going out. I read another blog called "My Life Thinly Disguised As Groove" (the link is here), which chronicles the adventures of Adam, a self-described "unapologetic atheist faggot" who seems to have a new boyfriend every few entries (the other entries detail his obsession with helium-voiced bimbo Kylie Minogue, but we won't hold that against him). He goes out constantly, and describes his bar-hopping with entertaining (and occasionally irritating) purple prose. I don't see how he has time to do all of this while still working and sleeping. But I have to remember that he is far younger that I am. Perhaps I am just envious that his life is more exciting than mine. 

I got home, and I asked the same thing of Julie that titles this entry. I told her that if I ever go out again, I am taking along someone who knows where to go in the city, since I apparently don't have the slightest idea.  

I am off tomorrow, and I don't know what I will be doing. But hopefully it will be all right. But the bathroom is now almost devoid of steam and it is now nearly midnight, so it is time for bed.

Eric Out.

No comments: