For the most part, I am over Justin. But there have been a couple of songs that start me thinking about him, and I can't help but get a little bit misty-eyed. And no, the Sheena Easton song that titles this entry isn't one of them.
One of these songs is "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco. The other is "How Many Words" by Blake Lewis. I don't understand why these particular songs hit me the way they do; "Superstar" isn't even a love song. There were other songs that were popular at that point, but these two kind of do me in.
I guess the memory of them playing on the XM radio while driving home from a couple of our early dates is what is on my mind. Being on the road (taking the long way home) in the dark (remembering that this was in February and early March of last year), and listening to these songs just brings back the memories. Things were just getting started, and the "honeymoon phase" was in effect. Justin could do no wrong at that point.
But then I have to remember what happened from there. And about that time, those songs stopped getting airplay on the radio ("How Many Words" barely got played anyway), so these two songs are locked in with those early memories.
Next weekend, I will be going to the Capital Pride street festival, even if I have to go alone. Beth and I are supposed to go together, but you never know with Beth. I have my "YES I AM" shirt at the ready.
And, perhaps, I will go out to Dupont Circle again. Perhaps I will have some better luck. Maybe I can make some new memories to associate with some no-hit wonders from this year.
And while we are waiting for this to happen. And to Tana: you have the song that this parodies on your CD.
And while we are waiting for this to happen. And to Tana: you have the song that this parodies on your CD.
Eric Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment